Protective Film - Cars?

After losing a car to an unlicensed/uninsured POS, we were forced to find a new car for my wife. We lucked out and found a late model vehicle with low miles in like new condition. After spending 3 weekends looking at cars, I noticed quite a few had clear protective film on them. Some had the entire hood done, some just the first 4-6" of the hood, some the door edges, fender areas, etc. My wife’s previous car had several nicks on the hood from rocks, etc. so, the idea of protective film is appealing.

Can anyone share their experiences with these films, good/bad, suggestions? I have wrapped one truck hood in the past and didn’t find it that difficult but, I wasn’t really worried about perfection too much. This is a like new car so I want it done well. Is such a job a DIY job or should I stick to a professional installer if I decide to do it? Should I do it at all, does it really protect and does it last?

All constructive input appreciated.

Thanks

In my opinion if you have the patience, do it yourself. If not let someone else do it.

I have done it once with a 99 S10 in Satin Black and was pleased with how it turned out but, this is a much nicer/newer car and doing clear so. Plus looking for anyone that has done this or had it done to see if it is really worth it.

DF,I have seen that film on a GMC pickup, silver in color, I don’t know if it was factory or not but it looked real good.
If you think its a good idea to have it done, then do it. A car is an investment in my opinion and any type of protection is better than nothing.
Door dings and rock chips suck. And all the bug guts,will mess up the paint also.

Yeah, it seems to be harder when you weren’t planning on buying a new vehicle. We’re fortunate we found a great vehicle at a good dealership and that we had the $ to buy it. But, still trying to get over being pissed about the whole thing and want to be as proactive as possible about taking care of this car. It is more than we wanted but it seems you are stuck with a lot of extra “stuff” on cars these days.

Thanks