Purple Martins vs Dragonflies.

I"m thinking at the end of the Martin Migration I’m going to take down the Gourds and condominium. Florida Audubon Society debunked the myth that they do any good on mosquitoes. No mosquitoes were found in a single Martins stomach. There main diet was grasshoppers, dragonflies, and butterflies.

The wife and I have found that when we have several dragonflies around you don’t have mosquitoes around. I’ve also noticed when walking the woods when you find a group of dragon flies you don’t have mosquitoes bothering you.

Watch as the Martins start feeding their hatch-lings just how many Dragonflies they bring in. Maybe time for a swap up? I do love to hear their chatter though.

Make dragonfly houses?

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

My father had a friend that referred to dragonflies as mosquito Hawks…Ha Ha… I wonder how you can draw them in without water…?

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

My father had a friend that referred to dragonflies as mosquito Hawks…Ha Ha… I wonder how you can draw them in without water…?

Got the water part covered, working on another pond that will have a large shallow area that I’m going to devote to raising them. Going to plant water lilies and cat tails. Actually they do the most damage to mosquitoes while nymphs eating mosquito larva. 90% of their diet is mosquitoes. Pretty neat critters.

http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Gardening-Tips/Attracting-Dragonflies.aspx

“When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine