Question for SkinnyJ and Others

SkinnyJ and others, what are ya’ll’s opinion on precious metal prices now that Trump is in office? Do ya’ll believe any increase/decrease will be seen in the foreseeable future? Obviously the prices fluctuate daily, but I’m referring to an overall trend.

I’m probably the worst person to ask about that. I would never put money in precious metals except for brass filled with powder and lead tips… If I had money to buy gold bullion, I would buy land instead.

Just say “yeah, it’ll go up like crazy!” and make me feel better.

On a serious note…if the economy when to $h*t, how would land ownership be beneficial (besides a place to bug out if need be)?

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

I think the guy with the lot I am about to buy for $50k that he paid $85k for would argue that.

I pad $75k and built a house on a lot, now the lots are for sale for $20k or less. Land isn’t the sure thing everyone thinks it is. I might have lost $7k on gold mine stocks this week, but I’m still up big ytd.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Location-Location-Location

Or timing

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Or both!

Or patience…

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

I think the guy with the lot I am about to buy for $50k that he paid $85k for would argue that.

I pad $75k and built a house on a lot, now the lots are for sale for $20k or less. Land isn’t the sure thing everyone thinks it is. I might have lost $7k on gold mine stocks this week, but I’m still up big ytd.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Well, I don't believe in buying ANYTHING at stupid prices. I don't remember saying, "buy land for more than it's worth"...
quote:
Originally posted by dippin_kodiak

Just say “yeah, it’ll go up like crazy!” and make me feel better.

On a serious note…if the economy when to $h*t, how would land ownership be beneficial (besides a place to bug out if need be)?

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

Here is my understanding of gold… It’s a commodity. And YES, it’s an asset, if you actually take possession of the physical asset (versus “gold stocks”). In my mind, gold isn’t an “investment” per se. It’s just a way to preserve value. At best, it’s a “trade” if you can get it for a price lower than it’s worth and then sell it for higher than it’s worth. So, if your question is “is gold better than cash”, then my question would be “what did you pay for your gold?”

I think this graphic explains a lot (unfortunately it only goes through 2011):

As you can see, gold had a massive run up in the 70’s and then eventually returned to the “norm”. It’s also started a massive run up in 2000 and onward. So, if you asked me this in 2000, I would have obviously been on the losing end of that bet for 10 years as speculators chased up the price of gold. But, if you bought gold in 1980, you didn’t “break even” again until 2010, IF you held on to it that long… So, given the HISTORY of gold, I don’t want anything to do with it. That being said, it “holds value” better than the ever-inflating dollar (i.e RELATIVE to the USD)…

Okay, but that doesn’t really answer your question about “gold vs property”… Thanks for pointing that out!!!

If I owned property, there are things I could do with it:

1. Move on it
  2. Grow doomsday tomatoes on it
  3. RENT IT OUT
  4. Improve it and then sell it
  5. Hunt on it, ENJOY it…

I view property as a bette

Definitely some good information. Thanks! I got a good laugh from “growing doomsday tomatoes.” Hopefully we’ll never get to that point, but if we do then some tomatoes and venison/fish/fowl (if we’re that fortunate) sound mighty good.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

I don’t buy physical gold, I buy stock in companies that profit from gold and mine gold/silver. Silver has an industrial value, and I think hedging on companies to find ways to make profit, over just holding gold and hoping it increases is better. Look at the GDX graph over physical gold price. 36% YtD vs. 9.5%. I would never buy actual gold.

I do hold some physical silver though, bought it about 5 years ago when it was down with the mindset to put away and not pull it out for 20-30 years.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

I don’t buy physical gold, I buy stock in companies that profit from gold and mine gold/silver. Silver has an industrial value, and I think hedging on companies to find ways to make profit, over just holding gold and hoping it increases is better. Look at the GDX graph over physical gold price. 36% YtD vs. 9.5%. I would never buy actual gold.

I do hold some physical silver though, bought it about 5 years ago when it was down with the mindset to put away and not pull it out for 20-30 years.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

If you are not buying physical bouillon, then what is the point of "buying gold"? In that case you are just "in the stock market" and might as well be buying other stuff that is less risky...

That being said, I love to buy companies that deal in “black gold” (as long as they have a good dividend), because I know that the world won’t be rid of it any time soon, and the supply will continue to get less and less (driving prices UP). BP has been a long time favorite of mine because of their dividend. I started buying them near the bottom of the deepwater horizon crisis. Right now, they are paying a 7.2% dividend yield… That means if you buy $100 worth of stock right now, you will collect $7.20 from them each year, for the rest of your life, assuming their dividend never changes. Typically they go up…

any discussion of gold is pointless until schools out ways in

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

any discussion of gold is pointless until schools out ways in

Schoolsout is the resident gold permabull... :smiley: He studies it way more than me.

I am looking at BP now and will probably venture into individual stocks this week. What is your take on these 2 as well. These along with BP will likely be longterm investments. Basically a buy and forget.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMID?p=AMID

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/YORW/?p=YORW

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115