question from a novice

I’ve been baiting near the mouth of a small creek. I’ve been getting plenty of shrimp but they’ve been for the most part really small, too small to keep. I was thinking that it time, the size will get better but I’m not sure. Will they always be mostly small, since it’s in a small creek and the larger shrimp are in deeper, bigger rivers?

thanks!

What river are you in? What general area?

In my opinion you’ll get larger shrimp the closer you are to the ocean.

'04 Sea Hunt 200 Escape w/ Yami 150

X2 closer to the ocean typically bigger shrimp. Find a nice mud flat or soft clay closer to the ocean and you should do pretty good.

During the daylight hours muddy water is your friend, incoming or outgoing tide as long at the water is moving. Don’t get stuck listening to a bunch of advise from all the experts. Grab some bait and a pole and start looking around, give the bait a 15-20 min soak time then throw a net on it. Night shrimping to me opens up more water to cover, they don’t spook as easy at night. My best advise is blaze your own trail. Size equals time; give them a chance to grow. Find a healthy marsh with good muddy water and get your net wet.

18’ CC 115 Yamaha “AWOL”
AMMO
“Providing the Enemy the opportunity to die for his country”

quote:
Originally posted by DenmarkSC

What river are you in? What general area?

In my opinion you’ll get larger shrimp the closer you are to the ocean.

'04 Sea Hunt 200 Escape w/ Yami 150

right…small creek off of the Toogoodoo…

And despite them being size challenged…they still taste pretty good!!

Size tends to get bigger as you move closer to the ocean. Hopefully they will get bigger as the season progresses as long as they hang around. Above post is about the best way to find them. Just try new spots and we what produces.

quote:
Originally posted by gunmanii

During the daylight hours muddy water is your friend, incoming or outgoing tide as long at the water is moving. Don’t get stuck listening to a bunch of advise from all the experts. Grab some bait and a pole and start looking around, give the bait a 15-20 min soak time then throw a net on it. Night shrimping to me opens up more water to cover, they don’t spook as easy at night. My best advise is blaze your own trail. Size equals time; give them a chance to grow. Find a healthy marsh with good muddy water and get your net wet.

18’ CC 115 Yamaha “AWOL”
AMMO
“Providing the Enemy the opportunity to die for his country”

had problems with the incoming tide this past weekend…it was moving so quickly, that it would take the net away from the bait. I guess it was the full moon big tides causing it.