Railroad Ties?

Anyone know where to get 6 to 8 railroad ties? Just looking to build a small gravel seating area in the backyard and am wanting to use these as the outside section. Lowe’s and Home Depot are seriously failing in regards to carrying these. I thought about just using large pressure treated posts, but I like the look/color of the railroad ties.

Any help is appreciated and if you happen to have a few laying around, well, let’s make a deal :smiley:

all of the ties I’ve used in a landscape application end up with a large infestation of fire ants.most of the ties available for that application have some age,and have lost quite a bit of creosote.

check with the CSX office on Bennett Yard rd. You may have to go up to tower to talk to one of the yardmasters. Bennett Yard rd. is between Food Lion and WOW cable.

There’s a place out near Hollywood, on route 162, that sells them. I think it’s the old Marvin’s meat location, but not sure. There are signs for it along the road before you get to it.

quote:
Originally posted by poke salad

all of the ties I’ve used in a landscape application end up with a large infestation of fire ants.most of the ties available for that application have some age,and have lost quite a bit of creosote.

ah hah… thanks for the info, might have to figure something else out then

“mr keys”

Old railroad ties have been a source of Formosan termites. A lot of them are from areas that saw a lot of overseas shipments and some think their use for landscaping has been responsible for the Formosan spread in the area. Some friends put a lot of them in their yard about 30 years ago and started having problems that were only cured when Hugo took the ties and the house.

If you are still interested, keep an eye on craigslist. I just looked and there were 2 ads with some for sale.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

I appreciate the info. got some things to think about… I have a new plan now… I think lol! :smiley:

“mr keys”

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mad/4851360348.html

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose