Ramps

It continues…

"SCDNR’s State Lakes closing in response to Governor’s Executive Order

COLUMBIA, S.C. (March 31, 2020) —The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources’ State Lakes are closing immediately to comply with Governor McMaster’s Executive Order 2020-16 relating to COVID-19.
SCDNR’s State Lakes offer fishing access to the public in areas where public fishing is often not easily available. A list and map of the 16 lakes is available at: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/lakes/state/index.html.
Ross Self, SCDNR’s chief of freshwater fisheries, said the State Lakes will be closed for the duration of Governor McMaster’s Executive Order. SCDNR staff are currently in the process of posting closed signs on the properties, according to Self.
“We are sorry about this,” said Self. “We hope the situation moderates soon so that we can reopen these lakes for public fishing again.”

South Carolina Department of Natural Resources - Rembert C. Dennis Building
1000 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201"

DRMajor

As usual Optiker nailed it !! as well as a few others. I see more boats with multiple fishermen than I do singles. CFC is turning into THT and more so everyday with the whiner’s.
SC does not seem to know how to social distance, so apparently some one has to teach them.

AGREED… a heavy fine would stop it…

DRMajor

I went by the Leeds Avenue Ramp just now to see for myself how they were implementing , or if in fact they were. Sign posted and County Police parked under oak tree standing guard.
He said it was the real deal, all public landings. Private landings and marinas still open. He also said if it hadn’t been for the craziness the past two weekends, none of this would have happened.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

https://youtu.be/Xa6c3OTr6yA

I understand that we all need to do our part to nip this in the bud.
https://youtu.be/gU5iLiEySyk
But everyone suffering the consequences for a few idiots really sucks. Well quite a few idiots.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

They have put physical barriers up here in North Myrtle Beach.

What about the commercial fishermen like me and you?

They covered that bace. They put a moratorium on commercial license till May. I should have went and got it when I heard they shut everything down in Florida.
Shot that in the butt.

It’s not just the salt, it’s the upland lakes and rivers! Kids, young people just won’t listen to no social gatherings, seem they cant be by themselves. They sure have made it bad for the rest of up waterman! Was going to Ga. to fish but they have shut it down starting Fri! Good luck and God bless!!!

Two BC sheriff at bushy this morning guarding the ramp while ms13 is conducting business as usual on red bank road.Plenty of private ramps on the lakes ,I bet there will be some partying on the islands this weekend.What a joke.

I also agree with the comments that Optiker made. This isn’t about taking away rights or privileges either. This entire situation is because we have too many people in our society today who lack good judgement and common sense.

In another discussion about this topic, on another forum, I got lambasted for mentioning that I would still be going fishing. That person started with a whole lot of “what if’s”. I had already said that I stay away from people anyway, especially when fishing, and with what’s going on, even more so. Yet this person continued with that crap of what if, and asked me what if I have an accident while out fishing, and if I would want to be at a hospital now. Would I want to be responsible for medical personnel having to tend to me when they might be better serving attending to folks with this virus. Those are fair questions, but accidents do happen. I don’t want to be in a hospital any other time. What if I fall in my shower while staying at home, or have a heart attack? For us older folks that’s as much of a possible scenario as any.

If all of these idiots would simply do as their asked, this virus would run it’s course in a much shorter time and we can all get back to a somewhat normal life again. We have not been mandated to stay at home, but just to stay away from one another. How difficult is that?

I won’t live my life based on a lot of “what if’s” either. If I did, I would have hidden in a hole a long time ago, away from everything and everyone. However, there is still the common sense factor that tells me to stay away from other people when there’s a virus going around that could be potentially deadly to me or others. Here’s a what if, what if this virus had a 100% mortality rate? Would these fools still defy common sense? Probably some of them would.

It is a shame, and annoying that some have ruined it for the rest with these closures. Apparently, unless these idiots are forced to comply, they wouldn’t anyway. That’s where w

Only the State controlled Public ramps are closed apparently. I stopped at a couple ramps on Lake Moultrie a little while ago…all are open and plenty of trucks/trailers there.

I fished Lake Murray today and, as is typical, I fished alone. There were plenty of others fishing as well. All privately owned pay-for-launch ramps are open. Also saw DNR riding around looking and they just threw up a hand as they went by. My point is that you can get on the water if you want to and are willing to pay for what you’re used to getting free, just don’t act like the juveniles that caused all of this ramp closing stuff. To me, fishing is like breathing, it’s something that I have to do. So until they require me to stay home, I’ll be fishing and paying to launch my boat as long as the ramp owners don’t get too greedy.

As a wise older woman I know would say, “This too shall pass.”

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it's lost and the story is told. - Me -What's the best eating fish, you ask? I've found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops) -Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased) -RIP my "Puppy Dog" 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I'll never forget him. What a special friend he was. -Team Gonna Fish

A couple of Mondays ago, prior to any closures, I drove over to the Santee River and fished from one of the boat ramp areas and fishing from shore, looking to possibly hook up with a couple of Shad. The water was a little high and muddy, and I was the only one there, and the only other person that I saw was a DNR Officer. He rode thru, never even stopped. He just waved. I guess they have their job to do, but are as concerned about this virus as anyone. Can’t blame them for that. I stayed a few hours, only caught one small Striper which was released, then stopped at the lake ( Marion) for about another hour. Again, I didn’t see anyone else fishing.

Anybody have a list/info on private salt water ramps?

Fee?

Location?

Etc.
Thank you…

DRMajor

Also, Lake Moultrie…
Know of Blacks, Angles…

DRMajor

WRITE YOUR SENATOR!!! & Congressman/!!!

I have heard they might be a vote this WED, to open the ramps back up…

At this time, if you don’t have a ramp, tough.
Those that do have ramps can still gather.

SO, slap a BIG fine on them…Say $500+. That will stop it.

DRMajor

Thanks for the info Major,I hope they end this injustice.

WRITE YOUR SENATORS AND HOUSE!!!

News Letter from Senator Sandy Senn:
"BOATING

My phone has not stopped ringing with folks upset that the governor’s orders included that public boat landings be closed. This prohibits those without a dock or private ramp from enjoying fishing or other water activities. Last weekend, there were so many boats on the water and many were filled with teenagers packed together irresponsibly. No doubt that the governor’s reasoning was due to the crowds on the waterways, but other responsible boaters are upset because boating is one of the few remaining outdoor activities available to us that is conducive to social distancing.

Currently, police officers are stationed at boat ramps and near popular sand bars and island beaches. It seems the governor could give the police the authority to make judgement calls as to which boats are not practicing social distancing while allowing responsible boaters to access the water.

I expect next week our leadership will call for the boat landings to be re-opened. Should those who own boats be allowed to use public ramps in order to fish and otherwise enjoy the water so long as they have room to socially distance? "

DRMajor

I was out on the water the weekend before the EO came out for closing all boat landings. It was more crowded than the 4th. Boats rafted up all over. Sand bars packed. Even if LEO decided to go ahead to break these crowds up, there would not be enough officers or time to do it. Not to mention the “risk” to their safety in the process. Thus the closures. It was the right call, because of all the other restrictions, people needed to get out, but now because of few behaving carelessly ALL of us now have to pay the penalty.

I was watching the news report on TV when the Governor closed the ramps and one of our local stations showed Bushy Park with plastic tape blocking the ramps and laughed.
I drove by there the next morning and it was torn down. A few boater’s had launched and no they weren’t the commercial crabber’s! I have a friend that has a private ramp and he has invited me out. I declined.

I do not feel like my rights are being impinged or restricted due to this order. Can I boat and fish and keep my distance, heck yeah, easy. The lack of common sense that most of the public has displayed is beyond belief. I still can’t find TP, alcohol or sanitizer in the stores and it’s been 5 weeks. Have enough, but that’s not the point.

For the first time, people are being asked to to make a very small sacrifice and they are offended. T.S. Boating and fishing is not a right. It’s a privilege. That’s why you have to buy a license, register your boat, have catch limits and closed seasons. Get a grip people.

I was pissed at our Governor for calling our State unique and not closing down. Finally he say’s work or home. In your boat is neither. Commercial people exclude.