Rebuilt Title

I am looking at buying a vehicle with a rebuilt title and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I did a little research and it says the vehicle must be “inspected” before they can be sold, but guessing that is not a rigorous inspection.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Express Auto LLC in Boiling Springs, SC?

Not particularly rigorous. I’ve built 3 cars from scratch and gone through the inspection process. All the DMV inspector checked for were the road legal required elements. Lights, signals, horn, brakes with a firm pedal that would stop the car on an incline.

Get pics of before, during, and after repairs. Ask for receipts if this person is the rebuilder.

Get the car on a lift and a frame machine if it was a wreck. If it has airbags that have been replaced ask yourself if you trust your life on it.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

It had front end damage. Guy that is selling owns a body shop and said he has done all the repairs himself and offered to show them. He also sent me pictures of the car before and after repairs. My biggest concern is frame damage or a broken motor mount! Wish I knew of a good mechanic in the Spartanburg area to give it a look over!

What state is title from? If SC, get in touch with Hwy Dept and they will send someone to look at it (or, you may have to take to them) and check it out. We tried to do this with a commercial truck of ours, but insurance company was out of PA and they got title and put in PA so we would have had to drive it/ship it up there for them to check out (or we could have supplied all sorts of parts paperwork with before/after pics we really didn’t have). We just got a salvage title here and rolled on. Sold the truck so that wasn’t an issue to buyer, either, except for me trying to help him out with some paperwork. Other states, I couldn’t tell ya the process.

quote:
Originally posted by fishcrazy

It had front end damage. Guy that is selling owns a body shop and said he has done all the repairs himself and offered to show them. He also sent me pictures of the car before and after repairs. My biggest concern is frame damage or a broken motor mount! Wish I knew of a good mechanic in the Spartanburg area to give it a look over!

Repairing total loss cars is a profitable business. A friend of mine in the upstate owns a body shop and junkyard. He buys, repairs, and sells about 30 or 40 cars per year from the insurance auctions.

Front end damage could be an issue. Frame damage and airbags come to mind. Take a look at the before pics and do a mental sanity check, would you want that car repaired? If the answer is yes AND you’re getting it for more than 25% below current market for a clean car, go ahead.

For me, I won’t do it for less than 40% below market of a clean car.

Well I called the insurance company twice and finally got the info I wanted…no frame damage or engine damage. They totaled it do to the cost of the cosmetic (mainly this) and suspension (front passenger side) repairs. Going to check it out tomorrow morning and Too Busy the truck is worth around 18k and am getting it for 11k…if he doesn’t sell it before tomorrow and everything checks out that is.

That’s a win if it checks out.