red snapper catch 2018 SC waters

I agree. Some fisheries I’ve visited hire college students/interns to monitor catch numbers at busy ramps/marinas. Would seem to make sense if accuracy was really the goal.

Huck

17’ Spyder poling skiff
28’ Tidewater CC

Sunny, you are right on. Since each state is now responsible for catch numbers and considering the value of the ARS to both rec. and comm., they should have flooded the ramps with checkers.

206 Kencraft
200 HP yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by Beaufort Boy

Skinnee, I understand on the fish stock, habitats, sheer biomass of snapper in the gulf, etc.
What I meant to say and should have said was that the Louisiana federal snapper season the last couple of years has increased from 3 days to 39 days to currently around 60 days. Just because a state gains control of that fishery doesn’t mean it’s suddenly a 12 month season. But 50 or 60 days over what we have now would be great.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150
Carolina Skiff (old school model)17’ Suz D50

I don't keep up with the GOM fishery that much, so I don't know the driving factors that increased the season, but that may or may not happen here. Don't get me wrong, as much as I am against the feds here, I appreciate SCDNR and think they do a fantastic job. That being said, we can't just assume what happened in the GOM will happen here. The main influencers in the SAFMC live right here in Charleston.

Skinnee,
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t the council calculate potential red snapper to be taken by the number of salt water fishing license purchased? Do they take into account for the inshore guy who could care less about going deep. Would be interesting to understand the rationale in calculating fish taken. I have always (or at least think I am) been a proponent of tags. When purchasing fishing licenses, could just click on button if you plan on fishing for Red Snapper. I’m fine with a fee for this if monies go to research. This would allow us to fish for Reds as long as the season is open … 6 months?? Works pretty good for Alligator hunting. I am waiting for the first lawsuit that is coming when somebody goes out in terrible conditions and doesn’t come home because the council granted us 6 days to fish!! Its going to happen … unfortunately we all know it! I noticed you and sells seem to be against a tag based system … just curious why? I’m not talking a lottery system but a straight up fee for tags available to anglers that wish to fish for em’!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

quote:
Originally posted by DownandOut

Skinnee,
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t the council calculate potential red snapper to be taken by the number of salt water fishing license purchased? Do they take into account for the inshore guy who could care less about going deep. Would be interesting to understand the rationale in calculating fish taken. I have always (or at least think I am) been a proponent of tags. When purchasing fishing licenses, could just click on button if you plan on fishing for Red Snapper. I’m fine with a fee for this if monies go to research. This would allow us to fish for Reds as long as the season is open … 6 months?? Works pretty good for Alligator hunting. I am waiting for the first lawsuit that is coming when somebody goes out in terrible conditions and doesn’t come home because the council granted us 6 days to fish!! Its going to happen … unfortunately we all know it! I noticed you and sells seem to be against a tag based system … just curious why? I’m not talking a lottery system but a straight up fee for tags available to anglers that wish to fish for em’!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

Again, check out the numbers\math... The quota is 29,656 fish (so roughly that many tags sold). That's for NC, SC, GA, FL to share. In 2015, SC sold 230K saltwater licenses alone. Think about FL. They aren't going to sell 10 million tags when the quota is that small. There is literally not enough fish for 1 in 10 saltwater anglers in our state alone.

I’m pretty sure that the SAFMC would love nothing more than for us to beg for this tagging system. They have wanted it all along, but fishermen have been opposed to it (for good reason). This is an age old negotiation technique called “good cop, bad cop”. Their desired outcome (“good cop”)

I’m opposed to any kind of tags as well, I do think that if SAFMC (?) can establish a specific rec catch limit then they owe it to the rec sector to have good estimate protocol to have the season last long enough to come close to that limit. Maybe they do/ did,even this year? Fri

SkinneeJ / Sunny,

But here is where the math doesn’t add up, at least for me.
As SkinneeJ indicated the quota was 29,656 fish and there were 230,000 saltwater fishing license holders just in SC – they have no idea who is fishing offshore / inshore etc… They just gave 6 days and 1 fish per day to 230,000 license holders. Math = 1,380.000 fish - in SC. Council could conceivably come back and say we harvested 46 years worth of quota!! If my calculations are correct 4943 could boat 6ea Red Snapper or 9886 boats could average 3 fish in NC, SC, GA, FL. Its all a guess. In my opinion by using a 2,3,4,5,6 tag system you could actually get an idea of how many boats are fishing for Reds and how many are harvested. We could fish the days we want to fish and keep the fish we want to keep. My boat was on the hill both weekends due to family obligations - would be nice to make a trip in October with a few unfilled tags??

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

So, would you rather fish when the numbers add up to your getting 0, or would you rather fish where the numbers don’t add up and you keep 1,380.000 fish?

Maybe we should be thankful that the 6 day fish season doesn’t “add up”, because tags are easy math…

SkinneeJ,
Wouldn’t you really like to have numbers you could believe in? I would!
And Sorry but with the current 6 day season I got my ZERO “this year”!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

quote:

SkinneeJ,

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

I think the quota is a joke, so no, I don't want those numbers. I want to go back to the 20" limit, 2 fish per person that we used to have.

Stock assessments are not done by counting fish. They are done by statistical age sampling. They are applying an age distribution model that is really fit for goliath grouper, to a species that the know little about. And that’s why we are where we are.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

SkinneeJ,

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

I think the quota is a joke, so no, I don't want those numbers. I want to go back to the 20" limit, 2 fish per person that we used to have.

Stock assessments are not done by counting fish. They are done by statistical age sampling. They are applying an age distribution model that is really fit for goliath grouper, to a species that the know little about. And that’s why we are where we are.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess122_2017-2018/bills/3856.htm

This to me is what “they” want…the method is to wear you down until you don’t give a stool.

Watch those old programs about snapper fishing in the gulf and see how many they “vent”.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

South Carolina General Assembly
122nd Session, 2017-2018
Journal of the House of Representatives

Tuesday, February 28, 2017
(Statewide Session)

HOUSE RESOLUTION
The following was introduced:
H. 3856 (Word version) – Reps. Hewitt, Jordan, Clemmons, Yow, Kirby and Lowe: A HOUSE RESOLUTION TO OPPOSE THE PRIVATIZATION OF SOUTH ATLANTIC FEDERAL FISHERY RESOURCES THROUGH CATCH SHARE MANAGEMENT AND EFFORTS THROUGH EXEMPTED FISHING PERMITS OR OTHER MEANS TO CONDUCT PILOT CATCH SHARE PROGRAMS OR STUDIES.
The Resolution was ordered referred to the Committee on Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman