red snapper catch 2018 SC waters

Talked with a person at the council just now to see if any add. weekends are going to be added due to last weekends bad weather conditions that kept most fisherman/women from going. I was told no that a lot of ARS was caught in the last two weekends(6 days)and that number is “calculated”(???) not sure so I looked on this site in “offshore fishing” and only found less than 10 ARS pics/discussions. WE as fisherman need help support a better way that “calculated numbers”. Please brainstorm ideas that will be better for all of us and submit to the southeastern council. I think the “calculated numbers” they use is WAY high for what was actually brought the hill.(maybe wrong) but my opinion.
I was also told about an APP for ARS season input not seen it yet(comments about no go due to weather,ARS caught,etc)
Some thoughts
Window of time(week,month,year) for season(not three day spot season)This would help with weather conditions>>if bad add to season.

Numbers based on fisherman input(survey to all SC saltwater lin. holders) for Quota (if not reached add more days to season)No calculated numbers!!!

State to set season based on the SC input.

This is Long/tough subject so please help with positive input!
I don’t have the perfect answer maybe we can help fix together!!!

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/opinion/letters/article_cd2d0226-5f75-11e8-b596-1785443224b9.html

36 ft Yellowfin Yamaha Trip 300
27 ft Seahunt Yamaha Twin 200

tridogs I HAVE A 27 SEA HUNT WITH TWIN 200’S. WISH THEY WERE 250’S. I ONLY GET ABOUT 40MPH. OUTFITTED IT WITH RADAR, AUTOPILOT, AND WINDLASS.

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

http://www.salesfunnel.com/media/ray-top.jpg
Pm sent

Why not a tag, each fisherman gets two tags to fill any time they want.

30 days season, to run from July 15 to August 15. Or be allowed to purchase tags, 10 tags for $100 use the money to establish new artificial reefs. That is thinking outside the box which unfortunately that idiotic council can’t seem to do . To ****ty weekend this was criminal! My ultimate goal is to watch the council go away and the states return to taking ownership. The council is nothing but a self bloviating bunch of bureaucrats that are in it for their own commercial interest.

#endthecouncil

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

30 days season, to run from July 15 to August 15. Or be allowed to purchase tags, 10 tags for $100 use the money to establish new artificial reefs. That is thinking outside the box which unfortunately that idiotic council can’t seem to do . To ****ty weekend this was criminal! My ultimate goal is to watch the council go away and the states return to taking ownership. The council is nothing but a self bloviating bunch of bureaucrats that are in it for their own commercial interest.

#endthecouncil

PROUD YANKEEy

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Dead on Paul!

Olde Man Charters
843-478-1538
Oldemancharters@gmail.com
286 Seafox/Twin 300’s

quote:
Originally posted by tjackson

Why not a tag, each fisherman gets two tags to fill any time they want.

This is exactly what the SAFMC wants. Tags have always been the agenda but they want you to come begging for them so it's our(fishermen) idea.

The only problem is… When you enter the tag lottery with the FL boys, statistically, which state do you think will win the most tags? How many years will you wait before you have enough “points” to finally be issued a snapper tag?

Be careful what you wish for. 1.5 Million fishing licenses sold in Florida alone… How do you think that the quota of 29,656 fish is going to be split??? If you think you are going to get a tag, you don’t understand the issue…

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

10 tags for $100 use the money to establish new artificial reefs.

Recreational quota is 29,656 fish. If I do the math correctly, there aren't enough red snapper tags to even cover 1 in 10 fishermen in SC.

Just remember, when a fisherman begs the SAFMC for tags, Greg Waugh smiles, and an fairy loses it’s wings…

While I agree with a longer season, I would think it should be later in the year. October, November time frame. Weather is too “iffy” in the summer, too many storms, etc.

We made it out on the 11th, caught our limit, plus grouper, assorted other bottom fish, and a beautiful 70 pound, give or take a few pounds wahoo.

We were back at the dock by 4, gone from the marina by 6, with lots of fish. Within 45 minutes we had 5 of our 7, took only another 15 minutes on another spot to get the last two.

But stinking hot. Catch and have to release much bigger ones in the fall.

Don’t understand why anyone should have to pay for Tags to catch them. Perhaps I am missing something.?

What did the wahoo eat? A drift line or did you troll a bit?

Rigged 3 bally on lures, never put the outriggers out. Starboard short got hit after about a minute, cut in half. Had two lines on the port side. one short like a flat line, the other about as far back as a short rigger would be. The “short rigger” one got hit, about a minute later, all over with in about 15 minutes from when we started the troll. Gaffed it, and tidied up the cockpit.
Said call it a day. Couldn’t top it. Time to go home.

Louisiana certainly had a longer season that what we had, but it is closed. The Gulf red snapper situation is a 2 year pilot program…hopefully something similar will get going here.

“The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission opened the 2018 private recreational red snapper season on Friday, May 25 in both state and federal waters. The season ran seven days a week with a daily bag limit of two fish per person and a 16-inch total length minimum size limit. The Commission voted to close the season at 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 8, 2018 and reopen the season as weekends-only (Friday-Sunday) beginning July 13, 2018. The season closed at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 12, 2018.”

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/red-snapper

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150
Carolina Skiff (old school model)17’ Suz D50

I think the rec guys have been happy with the LDNR taking control of the Louisiana Red Snapper regulation. Not sure if the commercial guys feel the same. I do know rec fishing(and hunting) is a way of life for many more folks in Louisiana compared to South Carolina and the pressure on the political leaders to take control from the feds has been significant down there. Unfortunately, I don’t see the uprising here to make a change.

quote:
Originally posted by Beaufort Boy

Louisiana certainly had a longer season that what we had, but it is closed. The Gulf red snapper situation is a 2 year pilot program…hopefully something similar will get going here.

“The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission opened the 2018 private recreational red snapper season on Friday, May 25 in both state and federal waters. The season ran seven days a week with a daily bag limit of two fish per person and a 16-inch total length minimum size limit. The Commission voted to close the season at 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 8, 2018 and reopen the season as weekends-only (Friday-Sunday) beginning July 13, 2018. The season closed at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 12, 2018.”

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/red-snapper

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150

Different fish stock. Way larger "Allocation"\TAC\Quota. Because of the oil rigs and artificial reefs in the GOM, there are more red snapper now than there were in pre-fishing times. While this doesn't seem to make sense on the surface, it's because of the some 50,000+ oil rigs and artificial reefs that weren't there before man came along.

Thats very true and after Katrina, many rigs were knocked down making for less visible targets …more fish.

Skinnee, I understand on the fish stock, habitats, sheer biomass of snapper in the gulf, etc.
What I meant to say and should have said was that the Louisiana federal snapper season the last couple of years has increased from 3 days to 39 days to currently around 60 days. Just because a state gains control of that fishery doesn’t mean it’s suddenly a 12 month season. But 50 or 60 days over what we have now would be great.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150

quote:
Originally posted by Beaufort Boy

Skinnee, I understand on the fish stock, habitats, sheer biomass of snapper in the gulf, etc.
What I meant to say and should have said was that the Louisiana federal snapper season the last couple of years has increased from 3 days to 39 days to currently around 60 days. Just because a state gains control of that fishery doesn’t mean it’s suddenly a 12 month season. But 50 or 60 days over what we have now would be great.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150

I would be happy with a 30 day season

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Umm, let’s see, what’s a good way to get a better estimate of recreational catch during an incredibly short season? How about saturate the popular boat ramps that have easy access to offshore, with someone checking catch. It’s a 6 day season!!! Hire/contract to have people at the public boat ramps. I fished the first Friday, two people, two red snapper (4 lb range), saw no one at the ramp checking. This doesn’t have to be a LE type check, just “hey, did you try to catch…, did you catch any, care to show me?”