Red Snapper report

Went down to Steinhatchee, Fl. for the opening of the Gulf red snapper season. Five of us came back with just over 100 pounds of filet. Stopped at Publix for a few things before getting home. Publix had “fresh gulf red snapper” for $28.99 per pound. I have a cell phone picture of the display case but I can’t figure out how to post it.

We don’t eat a lot of store bought fish but, at prices like that, we’ll be eating even less. What is the snapper limit in the gulf now?

Two per person per day. Minimum length of 16" but we only were looking for fish over 22".

Ah, just wondering. I have a friend that lives a bit north of the Tampa area I have fished with. The differences in fishing regs between the gulf and our coast are always interesting. We caught several nice triggers but could not keep any at the time. Bummer, I love triggerfish.

1 Like

Did you take a charter or your own boat? About how far of a run is it to the fishing grounds? I have been looking to make a trip to the gulf side of Florida.

We take his boat and the run is around 40-50 miles as best as I can remember. That side of Florida is pretty shallow for quite a while in that area. There are some areas you can be out 3-4 miles and just be hitting double digits. I believe he told me it is around a 1’ drop per mile for quite a ways out. It isn’t that way along the entire west coast. Go up to Destin and the panhandle and you get out to deeper water quicker.