Reef Anchor Rope

I have searched the post about this and there seem to be many messages about how to and how not to rig a reef anchor. I have chosen to use no chain and just rope, however should I use a shackle of sorts on the end of the reef anchor or should I just tie directly to the loop on the anchor? And when people are using the reef anchor do you find the structure with your electronics and then hold the boat over it and drop on the artificial reef hoping to get a hook on something? I am assuming that is how it is to be used and not dragged until snagging like other anchors. Thanks in advance. 10 days and counting till my lines are salty.

I use 10’ of chain with a Mighty Mite reef anchor. I DO NOT use it on artificial reefs because it will become part of the structure…I know from experience.Ask any diver how many anchors are on the Chas. 60. Anchoring over structure is an art and takes practice. I stop over the structure and let the natural drift take me down current, then using the plotter, I drive back up my drift line and drop the hook up current and scope back to the reef. A 16# M.M. anchor with chain will stop up to a 28’ boat like throwing an anvil over the side. It allows you to short scope and only use 200’ of rode in 155’ of water. Sounds easy in theory, but takes practice. You can make a marker buoy to help as a reference mark. I use a danforth (sand anchor) when fishing over artificial reef. I anchor in the sand up current and scope back over the structure.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

The best method I have found is to use chain just like on my other anchor, but use a shackle and attach it to the claw end. Then I use cheap zip ties and zip tie the chain to the shaft on the anchor. If it gets stuck on the structure and won’t pull out, I tie the rope off to one of the bow cleats and back up current from the anchor until the zip ties pop and the anchor will pull right out.

Also I find the structure on my depthfinder and pull just up current of it and drop anchor and wait on the boat to pull it back into the structure. The chain definitely helps it hook up.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Isn’t the point of a reef anchor to let the tines bend out if it gets stuck? so why drift back? Why not hook up and then allow the tines to do the work and bend out when snagged?

BB

Mine wont bend. An aluminum anchor will, but mine’s galvanized steel.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I have the grappler so that is the purpose of the tines. However I haven’t used it yet which is why I am asking how others do it. I know the rebar reef anchor bends also but I didn’t want to deal with the rust.

BB

I would still use the same method if my tines would bend. Artificial reefs are usually sunken barges or tugboat or army apc’s. They are usually solid steel and don’t give any when the anchor hits them. With my method it won’t have as much of a chance to get hung on something else when you want to pull anchor. I may just take sells advice about not using it on artificial reefs and stick with my ipilot all the time.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I do have the Ipilot also which isn’t a bad idea at all either if the current and wind isn’t to big of an issue.

BB

Doesn’t matter to me, I throw right in the wreck, haven’t lost or bought an anchor in 8 years. I do however keep a 40 cf bottle, flippers and a mask on the boat at all times just in case the reef anchor lands “just right” on the wreck and doesn’t pull. Out of all the times I’ve thrown my anchor on the wrecks I have only had it not pull out twice requiring me to get in the water, once at the CH60 and the other time at 4KI, both shallow. If you are not one to get in the water the other guys are right about finding the drift and anchoring ahead of the wreck with a danforth and drifting back over it. It helps to throw a bouy on it for a reference until you get skilled at it.

In regards to what one guy said about all the anchors on the wrecks, the last time I dove the Comanche I found 3 nice anchors, tons of big bank sinkers, 6 butterly jigs ( the Shimano ones not knockoffs) and one of those was attached to a spinning rod/reel. Apparently that one was not in a rod holder when the AJ hit it.

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t use a chain. I used a short chain and lost mine. The rope just cut itself on the edge of the wreck from the movement. The next week I bought an iPilot.

On memorial day weekend I could have sold 4 or 5 iPilots when I was out on the wrecks. 5-7 boats where stuck in one place anchored. I was moving around to get the spades and I got a cobia on the first cast because I wasn’t wasting time anchoring. I was fishing by myself, so an iPilot is the only way to go in that situation.

I will eventually get another reef anchor for strong current days just to save battery. I will use no less than 10-15 feet of chain.

Mako 1901 Inshore-Honda 130
10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

you will need chain,rope will get cut unless there is no current or wind that day