Reel help for inshore

Shimano is the only way to go. They will last forever and can handle abuse. The stradics are a great reel and the sustain is awesome…but if you are looking for something cheaper the saros or symetre are good.

I’ve been using Penn Conflict and Battles as well as the Quantum Smoke Inshore. As far as weight, I greatly prefer to throw the Smoke Inshore 25.

I know a lot of information has been discussed already, and this is truly is a great thread with tons of real information.

My only input is that I rarely find a fish that a 2500 series reel of quality build (penn/shimano/quantum) can’t handle in the waters around here. I’ve caught several 33" reds on a 2500 Penn Conflict and a med light rod in the kayak with no issue. I feel the light reels (Smoke inshore 25 and Shimano of equal size) reduce fatigue greatly, especially if you’re throwing all day. If you’re soaking bait, the heavier reels (conflict/battle) will do great as well. A good rod is also important as well, which of course, is another discussion.

Think 3000 is the all around best size for inshore, I tend to err on the side of larger versus smaller. Give me a 4000 size reel with 30lb braid over a 2000 or 2500 for inshore fishing anyday. I guess if you are throwing only artificials the 2500 might be a good choice, but still 3000 and 4000 offers more versatility.

Haddrells WA Had some good Shimanos on sale this week making room for next year’s inventory. I have used Okuma, the Diawa BGs and the Sedona, Symetre,and other Shimanos. I always gravitate back to Shimano… they work better and last longer.