Reel help for inshore

I’m looking at buying 5 new reels.looking into 2500-3000 series for trout reds flounder etc. My main question is the gear ratio, mostly for artificial baits and slow cranking for flounder. I’m learning as I go,with 2016 by far being my best year yet. I’m hoping with a little advice I can fine tune a bit. I have 2, 7’ Wright McGill rods and 3 Berkeley lightning rods 7’ for now

Most of the reels I’ve seen in this category are in the 6-1 ratio range, give or take, which has always worked well for me for the applications you’ve mentioned. It seems gear ratio is more important when choosing between something for, say, high speed jigging or wenching up bottom fish on bait. Others that are more knowledgeable may disagree, but a high speed reel has benefits and still enough torque in your typical inshore situation. I don’t know your budget, but I highly recommend the Stradic ci4+, even if you don’t buy all five at one time.

Have (8) Penn Battles and (obviously) like them pretty well. Paired several of them with the Star Stellar Lites, which I REALLY like. Wanted uniformity when I was building my inshore arsenal, so didn’t look too hard at comparable reels after I’d already purchased a couple of the Battles.

Did, however, buy a (Shimano) Symetre a year ago and use it more than all the others. It’s lighter, and the drag is super-smooth.

Take your time, and focus on quality rather than quantity. Buy one decent reel instead of two or three cheap ones. Rinse and wipe 'em down after each use, and keep 'em maintained. And look for deals, as Haddrell’s regularly runs specials. Good luck.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

I’ll have to agree with jtsnake. I have 7 Stradic Ci4+ reels and three Shimano Sustain reels. Pricey but well worth the cost.

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

Guys thanks for the ■■■■■■■■. Yes quality is most important. I’ve been using the cheaper reels,some for several years, to the point they twists between my fingers when fighting the fish. I’m guessing my 2 boys will each get me a shimano for Christmas, and probably 2 more at fathers day. Thanks again Merry Christmas to all

My favorite inshore reel is an Okuma Trio 30S. Well built and relatively inexpensive. Check them out.

The only negative I can find is they are kind of an orange-gold color.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I use 3000 and 4000 size reels for inshore, favor the Penn’s. Like the 4000 size so I can use 30lb braid on.

Check out daiwas “new” BG series

I agree - if you’re going to be throwing artificals all day - quality is a must - Stradics are the way to go. Pen Battles are a good bait fishing reel, but are a bit heavy for a full day of casting.

Do you have a brand preference ???

Shimano and Penn both make great products.

I have fished both Penn and Shimano products in the Lowcountry.

What price range would you like to be in ?? Most of your 2500 to 3000 are going to mirror gearing closely.

HADDRELL’S POINT TACKLE & SUPPLY
Your Complete Sportfishing Center
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.facebook.com/Haddrells.Point

I’ve looked into this before and the Stradic ci4 is pretty much the best option, but you will get good performance out of far cheaper reels just not the same as a ci4. I never catch fish fishing artificials fast enough to the point were you would need high speed gearing. If I’m throwing artificial baits I go as small, balanced and light as I can. A 4000 series would be to much, I would go with a 2500 or less, our biggest inshore fish your likely to catch on a artificial is a red in the 30’s. For inshore fishing around here your reeling speeds are more important than gearing to me. Most of the time I am reeling an artificial slower than I would reel in a bait rig. I like to use a 500 or 1000 series, for me a 500 series reel matches the speed that I naturally/ comfortably reel at and the speed that I get hits at. It makes it easier for me especially on a lite set up that all I do is twitch my finger and work the lure instead of a larger combo that takes the jerk of a wrist.

Penn Battle 2000 combo
$$
Heavier than Stradic but light enough cast all day.

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500
$$$
Very Light
Super smooth
Fast retrieval
I believe they are coming out with a new model. Might start seeing the price dropping on the old models.

St Criox rod is a great match to the Stradic.
6’6" med light, fast tip.
Lighter than Penn Rods.

I’ve looked at the daiwa, the Penn battles and the shimano. I only get 8-10 trips to the salt per year so the stradic may be a bit overkill. Price… 140.00 or less wouldn’t turn my stomach into knits

Are there any made in usa?

penn or shimano , I tried Daiwa once … reels did not last long and Daiwa wouldnt make it good, the reels were discontinued soon after but not after losing me as a customer for life

Keep in mind that if the reel you decide to buy is sold at Haddrel’s they offer an additional year warranty on top of the 1yr. manufacturers warranty, double warranty:wink:They have a excellent repair man on site that if your reel has any problems they will fix it. The pricing is very competitive as well. This Wednesday is ladies night and reels and line can be had for 20% off. Must be a woman purchasing. Good luck.

If you’re looking at the $140 price range the Penn Conflict might be your friend as it retails from $129 to $139 on the inshore sizes.

I have 4 of them and have been very happy. I have from a 1000 to a 3000. I use the 1000 most often and the 2000 2nd.

The Stradic has been mentioned, the Ci4+ and the Stradic metal frame were reworked this past year.
Around $200 is your base price on the metal frame and the Ci4+ is $229, either can vary $10 up or down depending on reel size, paired with an equivalent rod you can very easily spend $400 on a Stradic combo.

A Conflict pairs nicely to the Battalion rod at around $240.

Simon O
843-573-3474

HADDRELL’S POINT TACKLE & SUPPLY
Your Complete Sportfishing Center
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.facebook.com/Haddrells.Point

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

Penn Battle 2000 combo
$$
Heavier than Stradic but light enough cast all day.

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500
$$$
Very Light
Super smooth
Fast retrieval
I believe they are coming out with a new model. Might start seeing the price dropping on the old models.

St Criox rod is a great match to the Stradic.
6’6" med light, fast tip.
Lighter than Penn Rods.

New models already came out earlier this year, I believe in May/June. But I will agree with you, all I use are the Ci4+ reels or Sustain for my inshore fishing.

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

Haddrells has always been my go to spot. I’m sold on the idea of just going by there and talking it up and purchasing locally. I bought a Sedona from them years ago as my first "good " combo.

tacklewarehouse is closing out their Stradic Ci4’s
3000 and 4000 sizes
$149 - $159
Best deal you will probably ever find on them.
New model runs $229

If your a vet or active duty you can apply for a 10% discount on top of the sale price.
$135 each with discount

Free shipping and no SC tax.

3000 is the same body as 2500 with a slightly larger spool, same weight too.
Looking at them side by side you cant tell the difference.

Click on the 25 days of savings, scroll down to day 5.