Reel Maintenance

I was just given an older Penn 6/0 reel. Was just wondering where the most reasonable place to take it and have it professionally serviced before I take it through the paces.

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Life Is Good…Gotta Love It!!!

Haddrels in Mt. P does all of mine and always do an excellent job.

21’ Sea-Pro CC
Yamaha 150
“Aquaholic”
2008 Dodge Ram Mega-Cab 4x4 6.7 Cummins

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
Ernest Hemingway

Learn by doing…it ain’t hard.

The more we just complain…the more things stay the same.

I’m a little shy about breaking down stuff with lots of tiny parts. Usually something falls out and you have a hard time figuring out where it went, or which way it goes in correctly. I’ve been a mechanic all my life, torn down all my own guns, and done the vast majority of my own car maintenance; so I am speaking from experience. Sometimes it’s better to let someone who does it for a living handle things. That’s just me though.

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Life Is Good…Gotta Love It!!!

all you need to know…

http://alantani.com/index.php

Something that works well for me is to take a close up with a digital camera once I take the side cover off but BEFORE I take out any internal parts. You can take shots along the way to help you when it comes time to reassemble. I had a cheap Daiwa that I thought was dead. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it and put it back together. Good as new. Give it a shot with a less expensive reel.

That 6/0 is one of the easiest reels to work on.
If you’ve got experience breaking down and reassembling engines, you’ll have no problem with the 6/0.
It’s actually kinda therapeutic if you ask me.

New Boat
“FLIGHT RISK”
Lightning fast 31 Fountain
Thirsty twin 275 Verados
MMSI: 338097445

Old Boat (For Sale)
“Hanapaa”
Dry and Steady Key West 2020 WA
Fuel Sipping Yamaha F150
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p320/hanapaa/KW2020/

Happy boatin’ y’all!!

Penn Senators are super easy. Biggest pain is removing/installing all those sideplate screws and getting the clutch spring/dogs to stay in place while installing the bridge. Go ahead and install a new HT100 drag set while you have it apart.

Iain Pelto
Edgewater 185CC “Jumpin’ Bean II”