Reel Maintence

I fish about 8-10 days a month. after every 2 trips i completely tear down my reels, clean the bearings/gears and then add fresh oil/grease to them. is this too excessive? if so could this damage them in any way? How often do y’all do a complete breakdown and cleaning?

I grease/oil them maybe once a year. Honeslty I think washing them thoroughly is the main factor.

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

If they are Penn Battles you may wanna increase to every time you even look at them or at least every time they come within 15 miles of salt water. LOL

No matter how many variables I have control over, I never expect a bite. I only hope.

You won’t hurt your reels cleaning them after every 2 trips. You may strip the head on some screws, but that’s about all that I can think of.

I do a complete tear down twice a year unless one of my reels accidentally takes a dunk or if there is something mechanically wrong.

Of course I rinse them after each use, but I don’t spray them with full pressure water.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

If your screws are going into plastic, you could strip them out sooner tearing them down that often. Once a year with a good lube should be sufficient, with a good wash after each trip.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Can you guys recommend some videos or instructions on how to break down spinning reels? What kind of grease do you use? I have a Daiwa BG 3000 that I love but it’s making a new sound I want to figure out before it turns into something serious.

Alanhawk.com has a photo tutorial as well as recommend oils and grease. Otherwise, youtube will have plenty

Check out alantanni.com. A reel repair board. They have forums and tutorials for just about any reel out there.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Where can one get a star but small enough to take screws out of the Ci4?

I got an orange and grey kit with an orange and clear plastic box from Home Depot that had a bunch of various small bits and a smallish bit driver. It was cheap but had everything I needed to break down most any reel.