Reel Type/Size

Christmas shopping on the internet…

What size and type reel do you have on your Sabiki rod? I found a deal on the rod, but I need a reel to complete the package. Thanks and Happy ChristmaHannuKwanzaFestivus…

The more we just complain…the more things stay the same.

I like any 10lb test spinning rod that’s on sale for $20 or less. I think I picked up 4 sabiki rods from Dick’s last year for $15 each. You don’t need a fancy rod\reel for sabiki, but you do want something that’s fairly light-medium action so you don’t bounce off the baits on the way up. A $15 dollar rod is almost as disposable as the sabiki rig.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wes

Christmas shopping on the internet…

What size and type reel do you have on your Sabiki rod? …

I keep a matched pair in the console.

I have a abu 5500 on mine. I’m assuming that you mean an actual sabiki rod that you reel the whole rig inside the rod.

An old open face bass fishing reel works best on a sabiki rod because of being low profile. Load one with 20lb braid, and you’ll have something that’ll last a little while. You can get shakespeare, okuma and pflueger saltwater inshore / bass fishing type reels that actually are not too bad in salt water for low $$$ or just find an old ambassadeur, calcutta, etc. The bass reels will free spool a lot better than larger cheapo reels I have found, and this helps a lot when you are floating over a show of bait and need the rig to get down there quick.

I just snap sabiki’s onto my lighter jigging rods that have braid on them… one less rod taking up space on the bote.

A couple cost savers if you’re interested:
You can make homemade sabiki rods out of PVC pipe, zip ties and a soldering iron if you’re into saving rigs for reuse.
:smiley:
I make my own sabiki’s out of 15lb mono and 20lb fluoro with #1 bream hooks. I keep some premade ones on the boat in case, but I normally go out with a new homemade one inside the livewell ready to be snapped on.

www.JoinRFA.org
Luke 8:22-25

#4 or #6 gold aberdeen hooks work great for me. ambassador 5000 reel. we jig also all the time we are slow trolling. throw the rig in front of the boat along the line of travel. pick up reel down till the rig gets straight down under the boat.

green grass and high tides forever
jhp----- Murrells Inlet

Thanks, everyone. This is a Christmas gift for my Miami brother-in-law. For the fishing machine he has, he has nothing much to catch bait with. It is an actual sabiki rod and I just wanted a good idea of what to put on it. I have a Penn 77 on mine and it does the job, it’s just an antique.

Good thinking on the pocket fisherman…having two that is. I bet they last about 15 minutes in saltwater.

The more we just complain…the more things stay the same.