Repair Fiberglass Paddle Shaft

Found a practically new fiberglass shaft kayak paddle at Goodwill for $4.00. The shaft has a crack at the female end running the length of the shaft from the opening towards the paddle end that is about 4" long. Any ideas as to a way I might “fix” this so the paddle is usable?

Thanks

I would think that one would be a tough fix…any material put inside the shaft would hinder the other side being fitted in…being as it’s right in the middle of the paddle, away from the grip area, you could always use some sort of tape on the outside…just a thought.

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

Yeah, thought about it overnight, not seeing any real way to make a lasting repair. Back it goes.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

For $4…I’d wrap that sucker up with some good tape and put it in the hull as a backup paddle…you never know what may happen and that $4 paddle could get you back to your truck.

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

Just found some stuff called fiber fix, an epoxy tape. For $8.00 I’ll give it a shot, good point about a backup paddle.

Put it on ebay for $20. Someone will buy it:wink: Get Karen to throw in a pair of Goodwill shoes:smiley: Doug, the question is, did you miss the crack when you bought it, or just couldn’t pass up a good deal:question: Get some 2 part epoxy in a double syringe at Lowes. It mix’s when you squeeze it! That stuff is rated at 2500 lbs! Pry the crack open some with a screw driver and squirt the epoxy into it and remove the screwdriver! Fixed a wooden straight bow that way once with resin glue! Blew the glue in the crack with an air gun!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Epoxy-Instant-Mix/3218845

Actually Karen found the paddle Norm. She thought she found a good deal. Thought about epoxy in the crack but because it is a hollow tube where the other end fits in, not sure that will last. I’m going to try some epoxy tape that dries hard.

She was looking out for you:smiley:

That she was buddy, that she was. Sometimes I wonder why she does.

I wonder the same thing.

quote:
I wonder the same thing.

I truly out kicked my coverage.