Replacement Windows

I am seriously considering replacing the windows in my home this fall/winter and was wondering the pros/cons of doing it myself vs having someone else do it.

I am fairly skilled and competent and although I have never replaced an entire window I don’t think it would be too crazy difficult. Not entirely sure how much money I would save, but I imagine it would be significant.

Anyone have experience and care to comment?

Thanks,

Narcosis

Would also like to have few recommendations on window replacement. BUT I am not installing.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

I replaced my windows about 2 months ago. Used Lowes, they had a 15% off deal from Pella. Took about 4 weeks to get windows, but the installer showed up on the date scheduled. Installed windows and covered trim with aluminum in one day.

My windows are about 3’X5’. Total for 11 windows was a little over $4,000.

As far as installing yourself, you’re not really going to save a lot of money and you will probably wind up divorced.

Window installation is not for someone who is “fairly skilled”.

Don’t listen to him. You can do it.

“I don’t want to be accused of not being helpful so, I’d start by keeping my mouth closed when outside. Hope this helps.” -DFreedom Aug 28 2017

Easy job with any kind of skill level! Hope its not 3 story!

Vinyl Replacement Windows? Not hard at all to install yourself. I did contract work for Lowes for 5 years and installed MANY of them. If you’re doing any other type of window unit though, I’d suggest you buy and try to install ( 1 ) yourself first to see if you really want to do them yourself.

Pro Tip: Measure your rough openings and give that measurement when ordering your windows. Do not try to order the exact size you need, if you make a mistake you eat it, let the store take the responsibility of ordering the correct size.

Yes, you will save money on electric bill in the long run, and the amount of sound from the outside world will diminish as well.

Just wait until after Irma, and you’ll get insurance to pay for them…

RBF

Narcosis, I have installed french doors and it cant be harder than that. If you need help let me know, be glad to. Hopefully you have my number still. But only after these next two storms pass.

Just a side note , verify self installed verses dealer installed warranty, especially along coast!!!

quote:
Narcosis, I have installed french doors and it cant be harder than that. If you need help let me know, be glad to. Hopefully you have my number still. But only after these next two storms pass.

Thanks Tom. I’ll keep you posted on whatever I decide to do.

quote:
Originally posted by stlhunr

Vinyl Replacement Windows? Not hard at all to install yourself. I did contract work for Lowes for 5 years and installed MANY of them. If you’re doing any other type of window unit though, I’d suggest you buy and try to install ( 1 ) yourself first to see if you really want to do them yourself.

Pro Tip: Measure your rough openings and give that measurement when ordering your windows. Do not try to order the exact size you need, if you make a mistake you eat it, let the store take the responsibility of ordering the correct size.

Yes, you will save money on electric bill in the long run, and the amount of sound from the outside world will diminish as well.

X2

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”