Replacing an alternator

I think I can do this. Anyone done one recently?

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

NOt sure your vehicle, but usually a piece of cake. Remove your negative battery cable, take off the serpentine belt (most belt tensioners are 3/8 square drive some use a bolt) by relieving the tension on the belt tensioner, Unbolt the alt. and disconnect electrical connections then reinstall.

Make sure all pulleys spin freely after you have removed the belt . I’d recommend replacing the tensioner if you have a lot of miles on it. Not very expensive.

That said, if you have any issues I would bet a nickle someone has posted a Youtube video of it.

Good luck. and I would recommend buying a new Alternator over a Reman. they are usually not much more if offered.

Pretty easy on a RWD vehicle. Could get a bit tight on a transverse type though. Mainly trying to get the belts and such back on as it’s pretty tight on fwd. Really straight forward though as far as the procedure like Fred posted.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

i did one on a ford ranger and i am an idiot. i have faith in ya

That was easy. Took maybe an hour with a trip to the store for the new part included

I hope you went ahead and changed out the kanuter valve while you were in there. You’ll be sorry if not.

Good time to change your blinker fluid.

quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

I hope you went ahead and changed out the kanuter valve while you were in there. You’ll be sorry if not.

have not heard that one in awhile. :smiley:

Had a Muffler Bearing go out once! It was a bear to change out. It was on my Sister’s 57 Chevy. I had to use her car for 3 days, until I finally got it fixed and tested!:wink::smiley:

What sucks is I had just changed all of the halogen fluid also

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Had a Muffler Bearing go out once! It was a bear to change out. It was on my Sister’s 57 Chevy. I had to use her car for 3 days, until I finally got it fixed and tested!:wink::smiley:

A fool’s errand! Did you use a sky hook to lift the vehicle and a yard of flightline to crawl under, while fixing? how about some Sonar grease, Yard of chow line, AC battery, Adjustable needle-nose pliers, Bucket of compressed air, Compass wrench, Holes for hole punches, Jet Blast Compound, Left-handed box-end wrench, Shore line stretcher,… so many things to have fun with!!1

Sent a Pvt. to the Col’s office to ask for the Key to the Radar Range Gate:smiley:

How bout pick me up a hinge for a gate valve while you’re at supply.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Sent a Pvt. to the Col’s office to ask for the Key to the Radar Range Gate:smiley:

Is that like getting the HMMWV keys?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Did you blow the MPA valve while you were down there…?