Replacing concrete driveway

So, we have a concrete/oyster shell drive that isn’t in great shape. Has cracks and also some damage from some heavy equipment.
My wife wants to do a stamped concrete design with some colors. Had a guys come over and said the whole drive had to be ripped up, and replaced, quoted us almost 30k!. It is a big drive, probably 3k Sft.
So, can anyone recommend a good concrete guy and do we really need to replace everything or can something be laid over the top?

Thanks

drterry, PM sent.

I can’t help you with local contractors, but I do know concrete & blacktop construction very well. Cracks in concrete pavements are usually the result of movement under load. With heavy equipment having been on your drive, and if some of the cracking can be attributed to such, then chances are the existing grade under the concrete is not stable. That means if you put new concrete over it, it’s probable the new concrete will also crack eventually. There’s also the freeze/thaw cycle that affects concrete & blacktop. May not be a big issue in some places, but can be. Cracks allow moisture to get under the existing concrete, and in the cracks, and when it freezes, things move. This is not good for any type of pavement, because that too will eventually cause cracking, and again, if you put new concrete on top of old & then it’s again possible this movement will damage the new concrete eventually. Of course this is a big issue in northern states that have extremes in temps, but can be an issue here as well, it just might take longer to become noticeable. By then, the damage is done, again.

It would be best to remove the old concrete, stabilize & compact the grade, then pour the new driveway, and be sure that sufficient expansion joints are provided & sealed properly to prevent future problems.

It’s advisable that at minimum a wire mesh reinforcement be used, and sufficient thickness of the concrete for the load that will be put on it. 4" is usually minimum for driveways that will support autos, but may need to be thicker for areas where the grade is difficult to stabilize, or for a heavier load, such as a truck, boat or RV.

That’s a big drive. Sounds reasonable to me for stamped. A regular drive would probably be still over $20k. Instead of stamped concrete, you could probably do pavers for about $30k.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks guys. we went to the home show downtown this weekend and have some folks coming over to give us a price for installing real paversd. They can go on top of the concrete, need to remove it at the road and garage so its level, but wont have t demo the whole thing and they will guarantee the integrity. will see what the cost is on monday. thanks again

I don’t know the market price per SQFT for residential but that seems high to me. A driveway is something a lot of contractor can handle since it requires little formwork. There are a good amount of concrete and paver companies in the area, don’t jump for the first one.

First, Most, Biggest

New driveway cost are around 3.50 per sq’. 3,000 sq’ = 10,500. That wouldn’t include removal of old concrete, stamping, tabby etc.

3000 sf is not that large of a drive, what are the approximate dimensions?
Pavers will be more expensive than concrete. You do need to remove the old concrete and make sure the sub soil is compact-able adn that there are no organics or roots.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Its a circular drive with two extensions going into the garages plus Im adding a pad for the boat to sit on. Total SQ Ft us 3200. Just got a quote for pavers for about 23k, they guarantee against cracks or anything for 5 years. Seems like a better deal.

I sent you a PM