Report 04/26/14

I you fish the usual spots, you should pretty much know the angle of the sun on your way home. Sounds like an electrical problem.

quote:
Yall take it easy. It's easy to lose sight that anyone can be behind a screen-name. Whether it be a 14yr old kid or a grown man, a question was asked with the intent to gain knowledge. Don't beat him over the head yet!

My sincere apologies for my knee jerk response. Just the first thing that came to mind when I read the question. The response still stands, but it did nothing to answer the question. I’d need a couple of hours to fully answer it and it would make a good topic for discussion under another thread.

quote:
When I was younger, I actually lost my GPS on the way out only 15 miles offshore... Continued on the compass on the way out.

Younguns :smiley: When I was young and fishing offshore, and taking boats all over the Caribbean and Bahamas, LORAN was not even invented yet, much less GPS. We didn’t worry about losing it, we didn’t even know what it was :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Same day we had saltwater somehow get in the engines 50 miles offshore and waited 8 hours on tow boat. Then it was 8 hours getting towed back. The first 8 hours were longer.

14’ Carolina Skiff
19’ Sea Pro

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Younguns :smiley: When I was young and fishing offshore, and taking boats all over the Caribbean and Bahamas, LORAN was not even invented yet, much less GPS. We didn’t worry about losing it, we didn’t even know what it was :sunglasses:

Did you get to see him walk on water? :smiley:

I hear stories of the more tenured captains using transistor radios to find their way back.

quote:
I hear stories of the more tenured captains using transistor radios to find their way back.

No, not transistors, tube radios. AM RDF almost as big as a suitcase. We thought it was great. Get a LOP from Savannah, another from Jacksonville and another from Charleston, cross the 3 lines on the chart and that is near, almost, somewhat, where you were. I still keep an AM RDF on the boat offshore, but it does have transistors :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
2) The sun always rises in the East and sets in West. Pay attention to your bearing on the way out and your angle of offset from the sun. Use this to figure out your trajectory back. Example, if you go SE towards the 226 hole, you will be headed just to the right (15-20 degrees???) of the sun on the way back in..

And what do you do on cloudy days and nights? That works well enough to find land, if the sun is shining. Which at best is 50% of the time.

quote:
3) Follow the parade of boats back home.

Dang, I’d have to be a lost pilgrim and know the person I was following to do that. 1st off are you sure they know where they are going, 2nd. are they going the same place I am?

Capt. Larry Teuton

buddy ran us out of gas 3 miles from the marina in the everglades. we were within site of the beach, but man that was an empty feeling for a while, I don’t really want to test it out again…

“mr keys”

Glad ya’ll made it in safely Grady!

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

Sounds to me like Mr. Grady had the situation well in control. Had fresh wahoo sushi and beer for the slow ride home :sunglasses: A slow ride home sure does beat a tow. I’ve been on both ends of that tow rope for 18 hours more than once.

quote:
Did you get to see him walk on water?

Nah, that was before my time, but seen a few people try it. Never seen it work out for more than a few steps though :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
2) The sun always rises in the East and sets in West. Pay attention to your bearing on the way out and your angle of offset from the sun. Use this to figure out your trajectory back. Example, if you go SE towards the 226 hole, you will be headed just to the right (15-20 degrees???) of the sun on the way back in..

And what do you do on cloudy days and nights? That works well enough to find land, if the sun is shining. Which at best is 50% of the time.

quote:
3) Follow the parade of boats back home.

Dang, I’d have to be a lost pilgrim and know the person I was following to do that. 1st off are you sure they know where they are going, 2nd. are they going the same place I am?

Capt. Larry Teuton

That's why I gave multiple options. One of them will work. Hopefully you have a compass on your boat.

I think if someone is that turned around, they won’t care if they arrive back into St Helena sound instead of Charleston Harbor. They should be able to figure things out from there. Also, not sure about where you are from, but in Charleston, on a saturday, there is always a parade of boats headed back.