Report 04/26/14

I want to report that yesterday was the longest ride home from the Break I’ve ever had. Lost a motor and all electronics pushed home at 7.5 knots over 9hr ride home. Back to the dock at midnight and that made it hard to get up this morning. Im Glad we made it safe. I enjoyed being out there with some friends and cold beer. Found 74 degree water but no dolphin. Caught one small wahoo and 2 HUGE bonita’s. :smiley::smiley::smiley: From the reports looks like some others found the dolphin.

[URL=http://s426.photobucket.com/user/bpwvu000/media/IMG_0832_zps1c64a174.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Dang Grady, I didn’t realize you guys lost the engine/electronics @ the break. Any idea what happened?

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Were you the guy that called his wife from a SATPHONE and she didn’t believe you? You had one of the other guys wives call for you. We had a good laugh about that one. Glad you made it home safe.

quote:
Originally posted by LunaSea83

Were you the guy that called his wife from a SATPHONE and she didn’t believe you? You had one of the other guys wives call for you. We had a good laugh about that one. Glad you made it home safe.

haha, no that wasn't him, but they had about the same ride. We picked up a few passengers and dropped off the phone and another boat picked up the rest so they wouldn't have to endure a 9 hour ride home that the crew did.

LunaSea83 that was not us. Touche not sure about what was causing the problem. We did flag down a good Samaritan in a Sea Hunt that called back to land for us and got the message to the wives. He looked like he was headed back to Little River by his heading when he pulled off. If you are on here we really appreciated that and you definately have some boat karma headed your way.

quote:
Originally posted by Touche

Dang Grady, I didn’t realize you guys lost the engine/electronics @ the break. Any idea what happened?

Next time you start your motors the night before and they sound funny, DON"T take your boat and friends 53 miles out the next morning and put everyone’s life in danger! You can always live to fish another day!

Life is like a piece of doodoo…no matter if it sinks or floats…you always get flushed in the end

Just wondering in case I ever run in to the same issue. Without electronics how do you find your way back to the inlet?

Mbtrade- you use your compass

Mbtrade… That’s where back up hand held GPS come in handy as well…

2007 Scout 221 150 Yamaha 4 stroke

quote:
Without electronics how do you find your way back to the inlet?

I do hope you’re kidding? If you don’t know how to find your way home without electronics, you really shouldn’t get out of sight of the inlet to start with.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Tell them like it is Larry!!! Glad you did it first!

Yall take it easy. It’s easy to lose sight that anyone can be behind a screen-name. Whether it be a 14yr old kid or a grown man, a question was asked with the intent to gain knowledge. Don’t beat him over the head yet!

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

quote:
Touche Posted - 04/28/2014 : 10:43:21 PM Yall take it easy. It's easy to lose sight that anyone can be behind a screen-name. Whether it be a 14yr old kid or a grown man, a question was asked with the intent to gain knowledge. Don't beat him over the head yet!

Touche!!
Very well said!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

NUT3 what are you talking about you must have me confused with someone else? We didn’t have any knowledge of motors sounding strange??? As for navigating home we knew where we were and knew to take a 330 compass heading back to the hill.

Touche is right about hiding behind a screen-name. This is a great site until everyones EGO’s get in the way of a good time.

xxmadfirexx

That’s what I was wondering, whether you carry a battery powered GPS or use Iphone map. Yes I know how to use
a compass. It’s still not easy to find the inlet in pitch dark. Guess I’m just not as awesome of a semen as
some of you. Guess you can’t ask questions on here

quote:
Originally posted by mbtrade

xxmadfirexx

That’s what I was wondering, whether you carry a battery powered GPS or use Iphone map. Yes I know how to use
a compass. It’s still not easy to find the inlet in pitch dark. Guess I’m just not as awesome of a semen as
some of you. Guess you can’t ask questions on here

Grady is all about some semen…ship

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

MB - we keep an "emergency " ditch bag with epirb, handheld radio, handheld gps and q-beam, flares!
Electronics fail, lightning strikes - never hurts to have backup!

EGO’S on this site - seriously??? During the offseason it sounds like a bunch of high school girls!! :smiley:

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

No disrespect to Grady 18 or most people on here. Most people on here are great guys. Thanks for the suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by Grady18

NUT3 what are you talking about you must have me confused with someone else? We didn’t have any knowledge of motors sounding strange??? As for navigating home we knew where we were and knew to take a 330 compass heading back to the hill.

Touche is right about hiding behind a screen-name. This is a great site until everyones EGO’s get in the way of a good time.

My apologies dude. Got you mixed up with someone else who made it 53 miles out and starboard motor died and electronics F’d up. Came in at 8 knots. About an hour from the rocks he said to his crew “Now it makes sense why the motors sounded funny last night”

Again, I apologize. Hopefully no hard feelings.

Ways to get home…

1. Compass.
  2. The sun always rises in the East and sets in West. Pay attention to your bearing on the way out and your angle of offset from the sun. Use this to figure out your trajectory back. Example, if you go SE towards the 226 hole, you will be headed just to the right (15-20 degrees???) of the sun on the way back in…
  3. Follow the parade of boats back home.
  4. Use a combination of all of the above.

When I was younger, I actually lost my GPS on the way out only 15 miles offshore… Continued on the compass on the way out. Trolled all day and found my way back with a compass. Piece of cake… Caught some nice wahoos that day, and several dolphin.