Reports

Any kayak fisherman have a report. My latest report is I can’t catch a fat girl with a candy bar. Just got the kayak and I’m ready to sell it, they are very hard to fish out of

You have a tough time of year to start, and there is a learning curve to both the fishing and kayaking.

I did NOT take my yak out yesterday, as I needed to run my boat. I had not had it out in three weeks.

However, I hit the water at 8:00 and had nothing for almost 5 hours. I moved 5 times looking for fish. This is an option not so easily available to kayaks. You need to have a solid idea on where the fish might be, as moving is not so much of an option. At any rate, once the tide started to fall in earnest, the trout bite was on. They were hitting mud minnows and trout tricks, I would change up if the bite stopped for a few minutes. I ended up catching 12 and had 5-6 throw the hook after the bite. They were still biting when I left.

If I were in my yak, it would have been much tougher. Large tidal swing and the wind would have made it difficult, but those are things to learn from kayak fishing. Also, it is important to figure what baits to use. I tried throwing artificial shrimp, but they would not touch it, but I was trying them under a cork. Maybe I should have free lined it. Don’t know.

Also, for the kayak, you need to learn how to rig it and how to make it work for you. I fish with at least five different rods when yak fishing because changing up is hard to do in the kayak at times, so I set up before hand. All of your tackle needs to be well organized and in easy reach. With tide swings as large as they can be, (in Hilton Head they can be 10’), you might be fighting the current as well. Being set up ahead of time and having a good anchor system is imperative. All of this is stuff to learn as you go. That is why I love it as well as the boat. Keep at it, it will come.

Sea Hunt BX22 Br
WS Tarpon 140

Thank you for the reply. This is a very frustrating learning experience for sure. Covering a lot of water and catching nothing wears on you after awhile. I’m (**() close to giving up on the yak lol

Wait until you catch your first big red and he gives you a little ride. You’ll be glad you didn’t quit.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

It’s a game of cat and mouse, I’m just not finding the mice lol!!!

This time of year, the reds should have started to school. You won’t find anything until you can happen upon the school, then you find the ‘motherlode’ for a short period of time. Again, there are many different factors on when and where and the season affects the when and where as well. When I first started fishing, it was fall; the easiest time to find them. Then I went an entire winter and into May before I caught another. Keep at it, the ‘sleigh ride’ is well worth it.

Sea Hunt BX22 Br
WS Tarpon 140

If you have not learned how to just paddle around in a yak before fishing out of one, you have done your self a great disservice. I know who can teach you the right way. srsly.

There are tricks to the trade and if you just started both, it is like treading water with ankle weights on. Learn to paddle FIRST!

It’s a game of cat and mouse, I’m just not finding the mice lol!!!

If only you started about a month ago you’d be having the time of your life! Cold-weather fishing is tough…hang in there and you’ll figure it out!

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

Thanks fellas