required equipment

I am looking into getting a kayak and would like to make sure I have all the needed safety equipment. Can somebody post a list of items that are required by law. I don’t wanna be in the P&C for “gimmie $500 dollars or you’re going to jail” :imp:

pfd,whistle,fishin license.should have some type of anchor set-up,and xtra line for emergencies and such.

im still tryin to get a hold of the guy with the other pamlico fishfofun.he hasnt posted any yaks on there lately.

ws pamlico 100 and 14 ft canoeyak

“this plastic boat is killin my azz.”

I believe all you need is a pfd, that is accessible.

DNR requires you to have a pfd and a whistle or some other sound producing device on all boats. I don’t always wear my pdf but its always on my yak and I keep my whistle in one of its pockets.

Mud and a four legged mutt

Tarpon 140

Just checked DNR’s web site. It looks like we are required to have a flare on board if were in coastal waters.

Tarpon 140

dnr guy told me pfd and whistle.

ws pamlico 100 and 14 ft canoeyak

“this plastic boat is killin my azz.”

thanks for all the quick responses. I have a pfd and air horn, and will most likely get a whistle and flare just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by willy

im still tryin to get a hold of the guy with the other pamlico fishfofun.he hasnt posted any yaks on there lately.

thaks willy. i am watching a tarpon160i right now. its a bit more but that looks like a great yak for the summer.

Hey FishFoFun

Some older South Carolina laws may require that you carry Moon-Pies, RC Cola, beers, a Rebel flag and some smokes to be completely legal while huntin’ or fishin’ in this fine state. But I’m not sure, since I was born and raised in Florida, stick with the locals’ advice.

Stinky Fingers a.k.a Bob H.

but do you have to wear the pfd?

Live like you will live forever but live like you will die tomorrow.

As long as your over the age of twelve it just needs to be on the boat. If you have a boat 16’ or longer you better check with DNR because they fall in different regulation then shorter boats.

Tarpon 140