REVIEW: iRobot Roomba 980

After much research and a passionate distaste for sweeping up dog hair every day, I bit the bullet and bought one of these things. If you have a shedding dog, this thing is a blessing and might save your marriage! They work stupid good. This thing literally got 99% of the dog hair from our floors. Also the usual dust and food crumbs from the kids. I’ll never not have one of these things again.

Also, got mine off of amazon. They had a 3 year warranty extension for just another $57.

Anyone else have one?

No, but debating it. Thanks for doing the research for me :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep thinking of that FB post about the guy that found his had tracked dog $%&* through his entire house…that would suck.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I’ve thought about buying one! My wife has a bunch of rugs with the g long fringe around the edges and I’m afraid that that thing will try to eat it! Anyone know if it will work with fringe:question: An upright with the beater will eat it and stop.

We have one also, they’re great. We just hit the start button before leaving the house and it runs for an hour then automatically returns to the docking station. We just shut any doors if we don’t want the roomba wasting time in a certain area. Easy I’m not positive about the fringe on the carpets but it does transfer from carpet/rug to hardwood floor quite well. If it sucks up anything it can’t handle it will just shut off instead of tearing up your rug. The technology in these things is pretty impressive. Worth the $$

19’ American Skiff Coral Bay

Hard to say Easy. We have a shaggy rug, and it seems to do okay, but your rug might be different. We got the 980 because of the “carpet boost” which seems to work pretty well.

we’re considering the same type thing…dog, cat and wife just shed all the time…can’t convince the wife to cut her hair off like me…good info skinnee…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

buddy has one and says it’s flawless on all hardwood for cat, dog, and kid stuff

Love ours, work it so hard i sometimes think its trying to kill itself under a sofa or something.
I left it talking in Japanese which we kind of like tho it dies sound angry all the time.

cheers

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

Love ours, work it so hard i sometimes think its trying to kill itself under a sofa or something.
I left it talking in Japanese which we kind of like tho it dies sound angry all the time.

cheers

From now on, my furniture purchases will revolve around whether or not Roomba can get under it easily :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I’ve thought about buying one! My wife has a bunch of rugs with the g long fringe around the edges and I’m afraid that that thing will try to eat it! Anyone know if it will work with fringe:question: An upright with the beater will eat it and stop.

The rug in one of our rooms has fringe. Our Roomba will eat it and choke to death. Sometimes, getting it untangled is not trivial.

That having been said, we love ours. German Shepherd sheds pounds of hair each week. The roomba takes a little cleaning every few hours of running. But, we close a door or two, setup the little laser walls, and let it go. Does a pretty good job.

The dog hates it.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

I’m buying stock in this company if I can get shares for $70. This is the future.

Have been looking at the adds lately and concidered purchase, will get one tomorow. Skinneej,I will see you get the comision!

One question? How does it do on stairs? Does it read when it is over the void and turn around? I have 3 stories, guess I need 3 units? might be cheaper to install it an elevator!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

One question? How does it do on stairs? Does it read when it is over the void and turn around? I have 3 stories, guess I need 3 units? might be cheaper to install it an elevator!

They don't do stairs. It does have "cliff detection" on it, but I haven't sat there and watched it. It's not supposed to fall down the stairs assuming the sensors are clear.

I also have 3 stories. I just bought one unit. When it’s done cleaning downstairs, I just let it recharge. Then, I just carry it up the stairs, put it in a room and press the button and leave.

I don’t know that it’s worth buying 3 units, but on a large house, with multiple floors you will just need to carry it from here to there every once in a while.

Also, with pet hair, the bins fill up fast. I’ve only had mine for a few days, but basically I put it in a section of the house, let it clean until it stops, then I just go grab it, dump the bin, inspect the rollers and sensors (super easy), throw it on the charger and go about my life… A few hours later, I just pick it up off the charger, drop it on a different floor and leave.

We bought a much earlier model many years ago. We have replaced the battery and upgraded the bin/fan part. It’s still kicking. As for stairs, they have a sensor that stops them from falling down them. It has also been “stopped” by black stripes in our area rugs before.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

so the site’s come to this. Roomba reviews. couldn’t this have been handled on your Pinterest page?

my wife is required to run the vacuum.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

so the site’s come to this. Roomba reviews. couldn’t this have been handled on your Pinterest page?

my wife is required to run the vacuum.

I don't want my wife's vacuuming to cut into our sexy time...

she should do both. it was in the vows if they were planned properly.

That’s the old one! Why is a wedding dress white? Because the dish washer should match the rest of the appliances! If my wife wants one I’ll warn her it might eat the fringe off her oriental rugs!! If she still goes ahead and buys it, I can say, I told you so!:imp::smiley:

(**()it, I’m quitting this site after this. Bunch of grown men talking about vacuuming during the heat of the offshore bite.