ribbon cane syrup

Hi -

We have family in Hattiesburg that used to make ribbon cane syrup this time of year… with the big baffled cooker and cane press and all.

Anyone around here do it?

I read an article in G&G about some people that make it in SC. Looks really interesting.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/cane-syrup-forgotten-harvest

I’ve got a couple of neighbors who do it. They have an old cane press powered by a mule. Pretty cool. They sell the syrup, I’m sure I could get some. It’s cane grinding season now.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Daniel - that is neat. Haven’t ever done it with a kettle. Ours was a 12-15 ft rectangle with zig zag baffles, over a big brick fireplace. Had a press that drained right into one end, and you moved the liquid a bit at a time down the track until it was syrup at the other end… was an all day operation to finish up the whole batch. I will find some photos

Larry - I will meet you half way and trade you a couple of your stick anchors if you are up for it?

Interesting. So yours did small amounts at a time constantly directly out of the stalk. I bet boiling in the kettle for hours like that gives a different flavor vs using the baffled metal sheet.

That kettle is huge and purpose built too. I’d love to be involved in something like that. These old traditions need to be kept up.
http://gardenandgun.com/gallery/photos-forgotten-harvest

quote:
Larry - I will meet you half way and trade you a couple of your stick anchors if you are up for it?

Dang, I forgot about those 2 anchor pins :roll_eyes: I sure do hope you cashed my check:roll_eyes: You got a deal, I’ll round you up some local cooked syrup. How much do you want?

I haven’t been to Charleston in over a year, but will be coming up there in the next couple of weeks to pick up an engine from Charleston Marine.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Nah… I forgot them too until i cleaned the garage a bit recently. Just thought you might could use them still. Just a jar for my Dad would be great!

Here is a pic - wouldnt call it small amounts at a time - that hose runs pretty much full tilt for a while. The cooker goes on in the steam another 8-10 ft into the steam there.

If Larry cant get some let me know and I’ll bring back extra next when I go home for Christmas. All the old folks in the family are, and used to be before a couple of them passed, members of the Calvary Lions Club and cooked the Mule Day syrup for the big event down there (Mule Day in Calvary GA). That’s in Grady Co. Down in south GA. There’s a bunch of other folks around that cook it down there too, so if I can’t get ahold of mule day syrup it would be from an individual in Grady Co.

Interesting to see some talk about this here. First time I brought some back to Clemson with me in college there were only one or two people who even knew what cane syrup was.

Mission accomplished on your ribbon cane syrup. They just made some a couple of weeks ago, ground by a mule and cooked over a wood fire the old way :sunglasses: Got enough for you and your Dad both.

Capt. Larry Teuton

I do love some cane syrup. It was always on my grandparents table in the day. A lowcountry tradition for sure. A bunch of people still make it down around St George. My mom went to a cane squeezing last year at Sweatmans community. It’s some good stuff. Some more folks make it over near Wells too. It’s hard to get any more. You have to know someone to get it. Hardly none of it is sold. The only kind in the store is Cane Patch and now it’s in a little bottle and pricy! And it’s ok but not as good as the local real thing IMO.

J Ford

You can’t catch 'um on the couch!

Larry you are the man! Thanks a million :smiley:

quote:
The only kind in the store is Cane Patch and now it's in a little bottle and pricy! And it's ok but not as good as the local real thing IMO.

Sorry, but you are mistaken about that unless it’s a different Cane Patch brand. That is what I’ve got is Cane Patch, made by Danny Harden in Clyo, GA about a mile from my house, the old fashion way with a 200 year old cane grinder and 200 year old syrup cookers right in his back yard with a wood fire. It is local and it’s the real thing. Not much finds it’s way to store shelves. Mostly just to the participants, friends and neighbors. I’ve never seen it in a store here anyway. If you find it and it says Danny Harden on it, it’s the real deal. No factory involved, just a farmer/blacksmith/mechanic/historian getting together with friends and keeping old traditions alive. I’ll take a picture of the label tomorrow and see if we’re talking about the same Cane Patch.

He only does one or two cookings a year, 60 gallons per batch. I bought it from the man who grows and cooks it. :smiley:
He has a heck of a place, basically he has re-created and restored an old country town in his back yard. It would take 2 days just to see all his stuff! General store, blacksmith shop, carpenter shop, hoopsmith, smokehouse, syrup house, all re-located 200 year old buildings restored to working condition, lot of 100 year old farm equipment mostly restored to running condition, several with steam engines, some really old fire trucks, saloon of course :smiley: Very interesting fellow and place to visit, he is a fine man. Here is a link to a local article about him… http://effinghammagazine.com/2012/11/20/danny-hardenthis-is-my-hangout/

quote:
Larry you are the man! Thanks a million<hr h

sloppin up some cane syrup with a biscuit sure would be the ticket for breakfast right about now

quote:
I'll take a picture of the label tomorrow and see if we're talking about the same Cane Patch.

Matt will be eating biscuits and syrup by Saturday morning :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton