Rifles

What would you recommend for a rifle that I would use for target practice and as well as hunting a little for deer, coyote, and just for fun? I was looking at a .270 but dont know what brand to get. I have Remington guns and very pleased with them. Any thoughts?

Remingotn 700 in .308. Put a nice scope on it and and you can do all of the listed above with it.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

IMO. The .270 is a great round but a bit of over kill for around here esp for a coyote. I prefer the .308 family mainly the .243/.260 but if you want to plink, shoot light and heavy bullets I would look for common round. It will giver you better ammo choice and price. I just got a savage in 243 not sold on the whole accu trigger concept but it shoots some nice groups and my wife can handle the recoil. Also back in the day they actually made Bulk ammon for it.

Key West Stealth
150 V-max

For SC, a 7mm08. It has all the attributes of a .308 and .243 combined. As for rifle unless you want to customize a 700 then I would buy a Savage for out of the box shootability. I find Remington’s SPS series just about unusable in the factory configuration, the stock sucks, the trigger sucks and the overall feel of the gun sucks. They will shoot with some modifications though.

This is the last 700 I bought after a bit of work, it shoots under .5" groups.:

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I shoot a 25-06 for deer and coyote… Very flat shooting round, so long range shots are easy. Invest in a good quality scope. No matter how good the gun is, a cheap scope can make it useless in some situations…

Key West 19’6" CC 115hp Merc
14’ Fast Craft w/ 60hp Merc

Go with an SKS, it is an inexpensive rifle that shoots inexpensive ammo and easy to disassemble. Mine eats up the Wolf 7.62 and all you need is WD40 to clean it. Good enough for deer, hogs, coyote, zombies, etc. And when the SHTF, you have a good reliable, high capacity rifle (using mags) to defend your castle.

but don’t get it for looks, it isn’t a pretty rifle.

j

I have a Savage .270, and I love it.

My brother has a Remington .270, and it’s a pretty good gun. If you get a Remington, don’t get the camo wrap. I’ve seen two that have about half of the wrap peeling off of them.

The scope is the most important part, as long as you put it on a decent gun. I like Simmons for optics.

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

.300 blackout with a suppressor and subsonic rounds… You can shoot that anywhere…

Cobia- What about the Remington 700? What is the difference between the 700 and 700-.308??

I just bought my 13yo a Howa 7mm-08 for his b-day. It has the Hogue overmolded stock and came as a package with a Niko Sterling Nighteater scope and a front bipod. I hunt with a 7mm mag Ruger #1 but after shooting Cam’s new Howa I’m seriously considering adding another to the safe. Sweet rifle!

quote:
Originally posted by idratherbefishing

Cobia- What about the Remington 700? What is the difference between the 700 and 700-.308??

Sorry I should have explain better. I meant get a Remington model 700 in a .308. It is a very flat shooting rifle that can take anything in this state and you can still find ammo for it easily. There is a reason why the military and many law enforcement agencies use this for there sniper rifle. It is reliable and accurate. I have one and have taken many deer with it and a 348lb black bear with it. Good luck with your decision.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

on dozen people 11 different answers.

I believe a 30-06 is the best of all worlds in a long gun. go from a .55 grain accelerator varmint destroyer to a 260 grain limb mover bear destroyer.

I can honestly say around here I don’t have one stand that I have to shoot over 200 yards. You start pushing past that and then you need to do some bench shooting to be familiar with the rounds you are using and the weapon you are sending them out of. Heck even under 200 yards to make a clean kill you need to to a bunch of practice and know your weapon and ammo.

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Heck even under 200 yards to make a clean kill you need to to a bunch of practice and know your weapon and ammo.

Not with an RPG. You just have to get close.
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

Heck even under 200 yards to make a clean kill you need to to a bunch of practice and know your weapon and ammo.

Or a SKS or AK.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

My problem with that is I like my loins and back straps whole.

One advantage of the RPG is that the meat is instantly tenderized, no marinating, soaking, pounding, or waiting. You will have a little trouble finding it all, though.

j

I have a Weatherby vanguard .270 win and love it. Very accurate and i have never had trouble recovering deer I’ve shot w it.

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.
    [URL=http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/jimmyaadams/media/dWG_zpsea1898c0.png.html]

[/URL]

Marlin XL7 in .270. Dont overthink it.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyaadams

I have a Weatherby vanguard .270 win and love it. Very accurate and i have never had trouble recovering deer I’ve shot w it.

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.
    [URL=http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/jimmyaadams/media/dWG_zpsea1898c0.png.html]

[/URL]

Just buy a HOwa if you are considering a Weatherby Vanguard. Save money and get the same action and barrel.

Mark