Rigging a spoon

Is there a trick? Seems like every drop it tangles in the line. Tried with a mono leader and without. Do you need to lock the weight on, slip sinker, use a leader? my rods all have braid, is that the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Are you using a weighted jigging spoon or a trolling spoon?

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

You are probably dropping the rod tip down too quickly. Jig up and then drop the tip down just fast enough to keep the line straight, but loose enough to let the spoon fall freely.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

I agree with StriperSkiff. And, you might be using a spoon that is too light for the depth you are trying to fish.

Rick K

quote:
Originally posted by Cbrods

…Do you need to lock the weight on, slip sinker, use a leader? my rods all have braid, is that the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Just caught this part…Are you trying to attach weight other than the spoon itself??

FS90 Suzuki

Tried both ways. Spoons are very light, I think 4 inch, but don’t know if trolling or not. I did think they would be heavier though. I bought them because several times while pulling up bait, I’ve had nice fish chase them up, or hit the sinker. Wasn’t sure how to fish them.

So different spoons for different depths? If trolling spoons, how fast do you troll, same as live bait, or faster? I appreciate it guys.

Most of us are using spoons that weigh 3-5oz. Basically same principle as the saltwater butterfly system, except we are taking off the hooks up top and putting a big treble on the bottom. In the winter u can down size to a 1/2 or smaller. These are solid lead spoons not the metal trolling style.

Hope that may help clarify.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Cbrods, if you want a good proven spoon that you can get locally, pick up a 3oz Hopkins Spoon or Slammer. I know Lake World carries Hopkins Spoons. Sportman’s Warehouse has Slammers. Can’t remember if they both have a split ring on them or not, but if not, I would put one on.

FS90 Suzuki

If you are ever in the upstate go by Port-tronics in Greenville. They have a whole rack of jigging spoons.

You might try changing out to mono on your spoon rod and adding a fluorocarbon leader, probably 10 or 12 lbs. at the most. The braid probably will turn off all but the most aggressive fish. There used to be Berry’s spoons available up to atleast 3 oz., not sure if they’re still being made. I think you are currently fishing with a trolling spoon vs. a jigging spoon. Try the Hopkins if you can’t find a “deadly” one. One of my favorite “tricks” is to replace the standard treble hook with a red treble of equal or greater size. Try it, the fish might like it! Also, vary the way you are working the spoon, from small twitches to long aggressive snatches, the fish will tell you when you’ve found the right action. Good luck.

Anyone heard how Fogman is doing?

I found and bought a couple of 3 ounce Flexits at the Clark’s Hill Herring Hut on Monday. Can’t wait to try them. One’s black and chrome. The other’s black and chartreuse.

Spoon, I’ll give you a call tomorrow.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

White flexits get my vote. I’ve just used a good swivel and never had a problem with tangling on the drop.