Rigging an anchor

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I rigged a claw anchor at the advice of Larry just like he said. Used it last summer in the Keys. Previously in 5 trips I had lost 2 anchors. This one came up every time. Yaaaay, no more lost anchors.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I may consider switching to the claw !

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

I use a grapnel style anchor rigged with the ziptie breakaway daily. Great for rocky, hard bottoms, not great for mud or sand. I also have a Danforth style anchor for shallower mud/sand applications bit it’s rigged straight. You can generally pull a Danforth out of the mud and sand by powering over it. Using a Danforth style anchor in structure such as rocks and reefs is asking for trouble and bent shanks. I have bent quite a few Danforth anchors in rocky areas. Hopefully your rig will aleviate that.

The one question I have, is the Danforth as likely to catch on the chained side down as it is with the chained side up? The shank should have a little side to side play in it, I guess just make sure the chain is well secured to the shank so it doesn’t impede the travel of the shank between the flukes.

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

I use a grapnel style anchor rigged with the ziptie breakaway daily. Great for rocky, hard bottoms, not great for mud or sand. I also have a Danforth style anchor for shallower mud/sand applications bit it’s rigged straight. You can generally pull a Danforth out of the mud and sand by powering over it. Using a Danforth style anchor in structure such as rocks and reefs is asking for trouble and bent shanks. I have bent quite a few Danforth anchors in rocky areas. Hopefully your rig will aleviate that.

The one question I have, is the Danforth as likely to catch on the chained side down as it is with the chained side up? The shank should have a little side to side play in it, I guess just make sure the chain is well secured to the shank so it doesn’t impede the travel of the shank between the flukes.

That’s why I chose to go with cable instead of chain. Now I don’t have any actual experience with that happening. It’s just my rookie thinking. I can see where that wouldn’t be a problem with the claw.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

I’d just go with one zip tie at the top. Too many and you’ll play hell to break them in 90+ deep water.

Being superstitious is bad luck.
Time and tide wait for no man.

I use one fairly heavy at the top, then lighter ones along the shank just to keep the chain tight. After you pop the first one, the rest bust like pulling a zipper.

What Rap said about using a Danforth type in rocks and coral, you will bend it into a pretzel real quick. My boat doesn’t have enough power to bend this claw. It’s my primary anchor most of the time.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I admit I’ve lost or and twisted several danfords in the past, but none since rigging with the ty-wraps…Problem solved , but I really like the simplicity look of the claw rigged in Larrys post pictured above!! Question ; here in the up state I don’t see them in local stores, haven’t checked on ordering on-line:: any one know the "about rite " price range for 10-12 lb . just askin!!! :question::question::question::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

180 Key Largo 90hp 4banger

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

West Marine carries them reasonable. 11lb. about $65.16lb. is about $85

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

greg
you can rig your current anchor the same way larry has the claw anchor rigged. that’s the way I rig my anchors.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks ! Appreciate all the ■■■■■■■■.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

Checked amazon ;; sea sense claw 11 lb galv. no chain $46 and change free shipping.[:0]

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Don’t get too heavy on the zip ties or you won’t be able to break them.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Second this. Lost a couple myself up here and one was a grapple fashioned with zip ties. Sometimes it takes some work getting that first zip tie to break.