Rigging an anchor

Did I do this halfway right or did I muck it up big time ?

Looks right but I would have used chain.

Scout 185

Looks good. Alothough he ^^ is right, a few feet of chain attached to that link on the left, then attached to your anchor rope will make a big difference in making that sucker dig into the mud!

quote:
Originally posted by loopervet

Looks right but I would have used chain.

Scout 185

I’m assuming you mean chain instead of the wire rope correct ?

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

what you have rigged will work perfectly fine. most of the time we just rig chain straight to the anchor, with no joint, and the zip ties hold it in place.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks ! I’m learning as I go here. All your ■■■■■■■■ is appreciated.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

Yep, the wire/zip tie rig looks great as is. I would also attach around 3 ft of chain as a leader from your rope. It helps lay the anchor flat on the bottom so it plows into the mud better. Makes a big difference.

Thanks Carl. I have 6 ft of chain just for that.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

I would use a large “hvac” style zip tie at the link. I have had the smaller ones break in high current.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

Someone not knowing what they are doing is going to put some nice gouges in your gel coat with those bolts. Make sure to tell them to hold the anchor away from the boat as they get to the end.

Scout 185

With your size boat I would also look at a stick it anchor. Very easy to use in shallow water

Scout 185

also concerned about gel coat damage.
Consider pulling that off and just attaching the chain the same way.
2nd the large HVAC zip ties.

Less is more sometimes.

All the crits are spot on. But…

You have a cable sleeve splice at both ends of cable. WHY!!! is there a wire rope clip (U-bolt) behind the cable sleeve on the left of this picture? Stuff is not adding up here.

quote:
Originally posted by iFly

All the crits are spot on. But…

You have a cable sleeve splice at both ends of cable. WHY!!! is there a wire rope clip (U-bolt) behind the cable sleeve on the left of this picture? Stuff is not adding up here.

Being that I didn’t have the proper crimping tool, I just didn’t trust the sleeve.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

Thanks for the comments and advice. Back to the drawing board !

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

Keep it simple, lose the cable and take the chain directly to the anchor crown. The cable adds a lot of unnecessary parts and complications. Don’t get too heavy on the zip ties or you won’t be able to break them.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I rigged a claw anchor at the advice of Larry just like he said. Used it last summer in the Keys. Previously in 5 trips I had lost 2 anchors. This one came up every time. Yaaaay, no more lost anchors.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by gregsc

Did I do this halfway right or did I muck it up big time ?

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha

You have an 18’ boat. Rode, shackle, chain, shackle, anchor. You’re waaaay over complicating things. Anchoring your boat is not hard.

Looks good. I use the exact same set up when I am anchoring in heavy structure, artificial reefs and such.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Keep it simple, lose the cable and take the chain directly to the anchor crown. The cable adds a lot of unnecessary parts and complications. Don’t get too heavy on the zip ties or you won’t be able to break them.

I agree on the zip ties. If you can’t break em you’ve defeated the purpose.

2013 Tidewater 180CC
115 Yamaha