Rod and reel weight

I’m just wondering what would be a good size for most stuff. I’m looking to start fly fishing this year. I’ve heard 5 to 7 weight is a good range to look at for our area but would like to here what others think. I’m gonna try to get a starter setup for less than 150, any suggestions.

8wt is the magic number for most folks. I would look for a used TFO rod and get an inexpensive reddington reel.

Take a look at the Okuma SLV Fly reels…just a suggestion…IMO a great starter reel for the price.

“Ships and Sailors Rot in Port”- Admiral Nelson

IMO, it depends on where you intend to fish it & what fish you might be targeting most which rod weight will be a good choice. Just as with other tackle, one size doesn’t often fit all situations & conditions. Rod weight selection should be based on the conditions, fly size & the possible size of the fish that will be targeted.

If you’re primarily going to be fishing coastal water, then 7 to 10 could be a good range to choose from. Any will cast a range of fly sizes & handle most size fish. The real issue will be wind, and the heavier side of the weight range are going to be better in that category.

As was a said, an 8 wt is a good all around weight for inshore. I like a 9 wt as a general purpose rod, coming from fishing for Striped Bass a lot, because it was a bit more rod for both bigger flies & bigger fish. I use a 10 wt a good bit also. But, that can depend a lot on the angler & the rod because not all rods in the same weight will perform the same, and of course experience matters.

I’m a fan of TFO rods, & have 2 of the Lefty Kreh Signatures rods in 8 & 10 wt. Some may consider them a starter rod, but I’m way beyond that. I like them very much for the fishing I do. There are other very good brands, and models within a brand can vary a good bit. I have a couple Redington Crosswater in 9 wt, a decent rod & would be a good starter. I bought the first one for a son, and liked it so much I bought a second one for myself. I have other rods too, but will say it’s best to go & cast some different brands & models & decide for yourself if that’s at all possible. A good shop that carries multiple brands should also have someone who can help you with basic casting. IMO, “feel” has a lot to do with how a new fly fisher will develop with that first rod & subsequent rods as experience is gained.

Also, I do more LM bass fishing than I do at the coast, so my picks may not be a good choice for someone else, even though I use the same rods for both types of fishing. The rod has to fit the person using it.

As

Agree with all of the above.

'Would add a little bit about rod selection. Rods can be slow to fast. Basically, this describes the overall stiffness of the rod. A very slow rod can be unusable. A very fast rod can be very difficult for a newb to use. I have several 8 wgts that are medium speed rods (a little slower and little faster) that I load with any typical 8 wgt - weight forward - floating line. They are all good general purpose (reds, flounder, trout) rods. I also have a Sage One 9 wgt.which is relatively fast. If I have a lot of wind to deal with, I’ll go to the Sage as I can get it to through a tighter loop further allowing me to get into the wind better. But, the Sage requires good technique (not claiming to always have good technique). The other medium speed rods will tolerate a little sloppier technique. Long story - short. For my first rod, I’d go with a medium speed rod. It will be more forgiving as you learn to throw the line.

Another suggestion, get a little instruction from someone who really knows how to handle a fly rod. It is just like golf. If you learn the technique incorrectly to start, you’ll spend forever trying to correct the bad habits. Learn it correctly the first time and you’ll avoid an enormous amount of frustration. If you ever manage to start throwing tailing loops, you will come to know the true definition of frustration.

The Charleston Angler does frequent seminars. John Irwin does a Fly Fishing 101 class that is well worth the minimal cost. I’m sure the other shops do similar things. Also, when you get ready to buy, buy local. The local shops will take you out in the yard with several rods and let you throw them… will give you a little free instruction as you figure out what you want. The moderate price difference between the local shops and online is well worth the price.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Lots of help here. Thanks