Rules for wading

Can anyone enlighten me on the rules for wading a privately owned piece of marsh? I assume I need the landowners permission? What if I’m poling my skiff? Thanks.

Ok then. When I find out I’ll post it on here.

I think that there is very little privately-owned marsh out there (in SC, at least). There are a small handful of them due to something like a “King’s Grant” or something along those lines. I’m far from an expert, but I think most people’s property starts at the high tide line at the very most.

I can tell you that I’ve never worried about wading any stretch of marsh. Just be respectful, don’t tie up to a private dock or anything, and try to leave it better than you found it. If someone tries to tell you they own the marsh, I would be skeptical of that claim (though it’s not impossible, just unlikely).

Please do post up what you find though, it’s interesting.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18
Conchfish 178 build in progress…

I was told if your in the water your not on anyone’s property. The below the tide line thing is iffy because I’ve been told that by some but have had others be a D about it. I make my own judgement call based on the place and be respectful of others property. The fresh water areas are different some areas have crazy rules specific to that area.

If you are walking a flooded grass flat IN the water you should be good, property lines go to the high tide line. The kings grants I have heard of are down by Kiawah those they do own the mars to the low tide mark.

On a boat, you are on the water, NO ONE owns the water so as long as you are floating you are good to go. Some people will give you hell, most times I just move on, its usually not worth the hassle or waste of breath.

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
www.lowcountryflyshop.com
www.theredfishchronicles.com

quote:
Originally posted by nikonjedi

If you are walking a flooded grass flat IN the water you should be good, property lines go to the high tide line. The kings grants I have heard of are down by Kiawah those they do own the mars to the low tide mark.

On a boat, you are on the water, NO ONE owns the water so as long as you are floating you are good to go. Some people will give you hell, most times I just move on, its usually not worth the hassle or waste of breath.

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
www.lowcountryflyshop.com

Daggum Ken, it’s been a long time since you’ve been round these parts.

The vast majority of places you’ll be wading around you’ll be fine. I always used to make it a point to pick up some trash along the way when I waded. Folks are probably less likely to be a dick if they see you picking up trash as you go.

“Quit fishing around my dock!”
“Don’t be casting to my redfish” while wading knee deep in marsh
“Get away from my piece of the reef”
“Get off my weedline!!”

I’ve heard all of these. All are equally ridiculous.

If you are in the water, its legal. If someone wants a confrontation for any reason, its not worth it. Move on; there are plenty of flats.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

In general, in SC, landowners usually ‘own’ down to the low tide line. Most of the marsh around our cities is ‘owned’ privately by someone. However, the State of SC reserves the right to use the coastal waterways up to the high tide line for its citizens. So, while the marsh is usually privately owned, it is not of much use to the owner… unless they like to chase reds with a fly rod.

There are some, very few, areas of marsh that are part of King’s Grants. Those areas have stayed in the same family since colonial days, where literally given to the ancestor by the King (of England), and the current owners own all rights to everything inside their boundaries, including the right to float over it. The only King’s Grant area that I know of are between Sullivans/IOP and Mt. P, somewhere.

Outside of a Kings Grant area, you are allowed to use the water up to the high tide line. So, if you are ‘floating’, I think you are legal. If you are wading, you may be trespassing. If it is posted, I would stay in the boat.

I’ve floated lots of flats and I’ve never been chased off. I have had a few curious land owners stroll over and ask what I’m fishing for in 8" of water and why a fly rod? They have always been surprised/intrigued and friendly.

That having been said, I don’t float up close someone’s house our out building. A little respect for peoples property and privacy goes a long way.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:
[

Daggum Ken, it’s been a long time since you’ve been round these parts.

The vast majority of places you’ll be wading around you’ll be fine. I always used to make it a point to pick up some trash along the way when I waded. Folks are probably less likely to be a dick if they see you picking up trash as you go.

Yeah man. Been busy working and I FINALLY got my boat… Gheenoe LT25 and back at it.

Gheenoe LT 25
“Christie Belle”

There is a lot more Kings Grant waters than many think- many of the old plantations have Kings Grant waters near them- there are other areas where access by water is absolutely trespassing and some are not forgiving at all, many are posted, some are not.
Yes the marshes are privately owned, and they pay taxes on that acreage.

A little courtesy goes a long way.

Thanks guys that’s pretty much what I’ve come to find.