Running A Vehicle With A Bad Altenator

I’d like to get my Tundra (8 cyl) from the house to a shop about 7 mi away. Anyone have an idea if that should be doable running with a dead altenator?

Of course, I would fully charge the battery first and keep lights, heat, radio…etc off for the trip.

It’s probably 90% hwy driving if that matters.

With a fully charged battery you should have no problem! Do it during the day, so you don’t need headlights!

Like easy said… Should be no issue at all. Just make sure the alt is spinning free and is not charging because it is “locked” up. Most ECM’s won’t quit working until battery voltage gets below 10.5 vdc.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Why not replace the alternator in the driveway?

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Why not replace the alternator in the driveway?

Easy job to do… about as easy as an oil change. Get one with a warranty, we have replaced several on our fleet trucks multiple times through the warranty.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

Yea, it looks like a bit more work than some I’ve done, but still not bad. I’ve just got too much going on now to mess with it this weekend and during this week is not an option.

It’s been a great truck (2006) so far for the 7 years or so I’ve owned it, so I don’t mind having to bite the bullet on this one.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki