Sad on the Stono :-(

Whats up guys? I have been fishing the Stono right around the Wapoo Creek/Buzzard Roost Point area from a kayak and have had no luck what so ever. Been hitting grass lines, oyster beds, and docks at different tides. Tried artificials, live bait, and cut bait.

Wondering if anyone has noticed a trend lately that could improve my chances, I am headed out tomorrow afternoon.

Any advice is welcome.Thanks!

That’s my territory too, I live nearby and fish it often.

Been slow for me lately. This winter was awesome, but ever since the heat came the bite has greatly slowed.

The docks on the Riverland Terrace side have always been the most productive for me. I’ve caught a couple reds at Buzzards Roost Point but nothing consistent. The ends of Elliots cut are productive but its really not a high volume area this time of year. Also, boat traffic is at an all-time high which makes fishing the cut less than ideal on weekends.

Sure are some pretty sunsets though…

There’s no I in Barbeque Team.

I’m going to take the kayak over to buzzards and work up the creek later today. Haven’t been far in there so I’m hoping at least for some new scenery. I live in edgewater park so it’s a quick 10 min paddle across the river. If we have any luck I will let you know the details.

Curious, what bait do you have the most luck with in that area.

Riverland terrace docks fish best at high tide. I don’t know why, but that area seems to fish best when the wind is blowing out of the North and East. It can be howling and you can settle into protected pocket water near the docks and hammer fish working in the grass.

Cross the cut and fish the creeks that drain from the marsh near the golf course on the falling tide

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

The most productive bait for me has been MinnowZ on Trouteye Jigheads gooped up with Mullet flavor Pro Cure. Streakz in Ralph’s Shad on a TroutEye have been effective as well.

If you just want to hang meat and wait on a fish you’ll do fine with cut mullet on the bottom, but in my kayak I’ve always preferred artificials.

Don’t hesitate to come say hello if you see me in my 17’whaler/90 yamaha with a trolling motor and a yellow lab. I’m out a few days a week.

Cheers

There’s no I in Barbeque Team.

The cut on the stono side around low tide catch a small fish with shrimp and throw it out on a knocker rig about 10 to 20 ft out from the edge. have your camera ready because it will likely be a red over 30 inches or a big stingray expect to loose tackle on the poles and rocks.

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

The cut on the stono side around low tide catch a small fish with shrimp and throw it out on a knocker rig about 10 to 20 ft out from the edge. have your camera ready because it will likely be a red over 30 inches or a big stingray expect to loose tackle on the poles and rocks.

How do you set up to fish here??? Anchor ?? It seems like it would be hard to fish with all the boat traffic.

17’ Mako

Well, no luck. Wrong time of day wrong tide I think. Went with my brother in law and we both caught a small shark. Live minnows under a popping cork showed no action but I think it was more where we were fishing than anything else.

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

This is from a couple of years ago. 5 reds over 30 inches in an hour with the biggest going 36"

whole finger mullet, 3/0 circle hook, 1 oz egg sinker.

I post up in my kayak in the eddy just off the rocks

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!