Santee to Charleston

I am part of a group of folks here in the upstate that are thinking of making the trip in a couple of months. We are thinking have someone drop us in the water near Eutawville and pick us up at Remley’s. I’m quite familiar with the way the Corp of Engineers marks waterways and assume Santee, though run by the utility, is marked the same way.Is there a need for the local fishing maps as there are no charts available that I can tell. I think the Cooper River shouldn’t be an issue but have concerns about the lakes. Can anyone experienced in this trip give advise? Many thanks in advance.
JT

quote:
Originally posted by moretodaythanyesterday

I am part of a group of folks here in the upstate that are thinking of making the trip in a couple of months. We are thinking have someone drop us in the water near Eutawville and pick us up at Remley’s. I’m quite familiar with the way the Corp of Engineers marks waterways and assume Santee, though run by the utility, is marked the same way.Is there a need for the local fishing maps as there are no charts available that I can tell. I think the Cooper River shouldn’t be an issue but have concerns about the lakes. Can anyone experienced in this trip give advise? Many thanks in advance.
JT

I’m so excited I can barely cope,
I sizzlin’ like an isotope.

What type or size watercraft are you going to be in ?

Our group is growing, it seems daily, so at this point we are looking at taking a 21 footer. Are there recommendations for a minimum size boat?

The lakes are adequately marked, easy trip, usually do it once a year and leave out on a Saturday stay the night and ride back home on Sunday. Just don’t end up on the rice fields, it never fails to see somebody stuck out in the rice fields.

Got a GPS? I can send you the route from I95 on Lake Marion all the way to Charleston.

Seah Hunt Ultra 234 Yamaha F250
Sea Pro 190CC Yamaha F150 (sold)

Salty is right,the river may be more challenging than the lakes.They put up some nice markers thru the dead forest a few years back.I’ve run everywhere on your route with a 14ft plywood boat when the weather is good but those lakes can get rough because they are relatively shallow. I would take that nice fella up on his offer of a gps path.Good luck to ya.

I’ve done this trip 3 times from Columbia to Charleston

if the wind is blowing the upper lake will not be fun, if the visibility drops you can get in trouble real quick, if it’s blowing enough the lower lake can be a slow ride

don’t under estimate the river below the lake, it’s tricky

then there is the passage near the old Naval Weapons, anywhere near there or the Port - you are being constantly watched, do the wrong thing and you’ll be surprised - in a bad way

Pioneer 197SF

Salty849, what area are these rice fields of which you speak.

Have to pick your weather. If the wind’s blowing into the dam too strong, they may not open the locks to lock you down (or back up).