Satellite Internet?

Does anyone use a satellite service for Internet? I have a Windstream DSL and it is dismal for speed. Any suggestions? Cable is not an option here.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

http://www.bestsatelliteproviders.com/satellite-internet-providers/

Check here to see how you speed is currently.

http://www.speedtest.net/

DSL won’t be any faster than 6mbps down and potentially much lower up - as little as 512kbps upstream for many of the old AT&T plans.

Satellite can be faster, but you will suffer from significantly more restrictive monthly data caps. This will cause issues if you’re a heavy Netflix user - HD video streams can consume upwards of 4GB per hour.

I have hughesnet. I can’t get cable or DSL at my house. $70.00 a month for 10g of data usage and 10g bonus for after hours (2am-8am). It is pretty fast and I’m overall happy with it, but like CaptTang said, Netflix or other streaming service will eat through it pretty quick. For what I do, it works, I just wish I had other options. I had dishnet before and hated it. They do have a faster version out than what i had, but they wanted me to pay for the install of a new satellite and I said, “see ya!”

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Check here to see how you speed is currently.

http://www.speedtest.net/

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Did that thanks, also tested with Windstream, speedtest.windstream.net

I’m getting a whopping .8 mbs download. Paying for 6 mbs. Been fighting with Windstream for a week. Sick of it.

Wife is a heavy Netflix user.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I’m getting a whopping .8 mbs download. Paying for 6 mbs. Been fighting with Windstream for a week. Sick of it.

Is this over a wireless connection or is your computer hard-wired to the wall?

I did a similar test on my laptop a few weeks ago. Being “plugged in” versus “wireless”, the difference was night and day. Some of the wireless routers really suck and kill your transfer speeds…

That being said, .8mbs is super horrible even for a crappy wireless device.

Direct ethernet from router to PC. Not wireless. Yes, I know it’s horrible. I’d fire them if I could find a decent replacement. About ready to call the PSC.

Capt. Larry Teuton

Ouch!

I’ve been using ATT hotspot for $50/month for a long time. I can take it with me anywhere and use my tablet or whatever. If I go over and I do a lot it’s $10/gig which sux but I like being able to have my wife drive and I can surf from Columbia to Charleston… :wink: I’d avoid the satellite unless it was my only option. Their fair use policies are horrible and you can forget any regular media usage. I like YouTube and, well, I have to pay for the extra so … maybe Google will force the hands of the predatory providers and get us some GREAT bandwidth! Read “Captive Audience” about how the comm industry has screwed us for so long.

just got excede internet due to no cable or at&t service, they advertize 12 mbps download so far happy with it, free instillation 5 gig is 50.00 a month, 15 gig is 70.00

26’ Twinvee Cat
Twin Suzuki 175’s
www.creeksidemetalworks.com

Thanks for the replies. Still checking satellite options. Windstream has me up to 3 MBS now. Not screaming but better than it was.

Any ideas on how to determine my monthly data use?

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Thanks for the replies. Still checking satellite options. Windstream has me up to 3 MBS now. Not screaming but better than it was.

Any ideas on how to determine my monthly data use?

Capt. Larry Teuton

http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/