Scammed - Need Help

I had a fast one pulled on me, probably my loss.
Craigslist purchase, met the guy looked at the stuff and it was what I thought it’d be on the surface. When I got home, he had stuffed lower level equipment in higher end boxes. As in, 25W light boxes contained a 10W light fixtures. It’s all stage/band lighting stuff. I looked at the boxes, even saw a fixture as he opened the box but I didn’t verify the details on the fixture itself. It looked the part and has specified exact part numbers online and in emails.

I called him right after I got home, he basically said good luck getting the money back. Then I explained cordially that either he could have his gear back/I get my money back or I’d be glad to take him to court if only on principal and he changed his story. I was polite enough that I’m sure he felt bad about scamming me (for the moment). It was late, he’d confirmed we could meet to make it right, but he was headed out of town in the morning, he’d call when he got back. That was a week and a half ago, he was expected back by early last week.

I have his first name, a phone number, the company he works for and job title. As back up to my side of the story I have a screenshot of the craigslist ad and emails where he gives exact part numbers he’d be bringing and of course the gear that isn’t what was promised.

What I don’t have is his last name and address so I could at least send a letter stating what I expect and give a timeline. I’ve used several of the net’s options to reverse search the phone number and none of them give me any more detail than it is a Verizon cell number out of Greenville. I even paid for a few online lookups that indicated they had more detailed info about the phone number, got some other guys name out of one. Found/contacted the other guy on Facebook and it was his number years and years ago.

Any ideas?

BG

PM DFreedom this site! He may be able to help!

What was the value of the total loss?

My argument would be about $1k, but his argument could be half of that. I’d settle for the half.

BG

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

PM DFreedom this site! He may be able to help!

I’ll send him a message. Thanks.

BG

quote:
Originally posted by btodag

My argument would be about $1k, but his argument could be half of that. I’d settle for the half.

BG

Sorry dude. That sucks... Significant amount of money.
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej Sorry dude. That sucks... Significant amount of money.

Thanks.

BG