Scope Suggestions?

I’m going to start hunting in more brush cover this year so the .270 will see more safe time than in previous seasons. So, I’d like to get a scope (max of $200) for my Marlin 30-30. Any suggestions? Most shots would be inside 100 yds with MAYBE a 150yd shot in there so there wouldn’t be a need for some super magnification scope. What do ya’ll think?

Here’s a starting point . I like mine

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nikon-prostaff-3—9-x-40-riflescope?repChildCatid=413818

Can’t go wrong with a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn. Rugged and offered in several versions. I believe the 3 x 9 can be found for around $80 in a 40mm bell.

For that rifle I’d get some raised mounts so you can still use your open sights for close shots and quick acquisition. I don’t like taking shots closer than 20 yards with the scope dialed in at 100yds.

Might look into .12 gauge and buckshot for brush?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
For that rifle I'd get some raised mounts so you can still use your open sights for close shots and quick acquisition.

For shots inside 30/30 range I prefer just open sights, or a good red dot. Our woods are so thick that there aren’t many shots over 50 yards anyway. Magnification really slows down target acquisition, at least it does with me. I do like my old 30/30 Winchester, got it in 1971 and it’s taken down many deer and pigs. Never even felt the need to put a scope on it. A Marlin is easier to scope than a Winchester though.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Something in the 1x4x20 range with a #4 reticle or post. A good suggestion was a reflex or red dot or a set of fiber optic iron sighs. I’d opt for a decent dot over a magnified optic with that budget. Most $200 mag optics are crap.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

x2 on the Nikon… GREAT SCOPE, I have 3

Here is a Link to a great website. Go to the “sample list” excellent prices on “used” scopes Demo’s for pros and the like for testing. Avoid anything that has anything to do with lens wear. Ring wear/marks is fine. They ship fast and match pricing only place I buy scopes. That being said a 30/30 iron sight is all you need. Aim small miss small. http://swfa.com/