Scout VS. Sea Hunt, Key West & Pioneer

Looking for a good used boat and was looking for some ■■■■■■■■. I was wondering how Scout Boats rated as to quality compared to the other 3 brands I mentioned above. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 155 scout and love it.

Just for a little more info., the size boats I am looking at are in the range of 19 to 21ft.

To each, his own.
I have owned a KW and I own Sea Hunt now. The KW was a much more solid boat(it was a 19). My SH is 23. But I have been over 60 miles out in the SH and never worried about it. I have been in Scouts and Pioneers. I would say they are both as solid as the KW. The newer SH are much more solid that the older ones like I have.

Good luck

Scouts are more expensive on the front end than the others but no better built. They have a pretty good degree of fit and finish, better than KW and Sea Hunt but not Pioneer. I tested a Scout when I was looking, I couldn’t find the $15-$20K difference in the price between it and my Pioneer. In fact I found the Pioneer to have a better and more solid ride that the Scout. I didn’t like the layout of the SH and KW plus neither one was offering the option of the F300 at the time.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Key West makes a tough boat at a nice price. I crash mine into stuff every now and then and we beat it up in rough water all the time. I just patch up the scuffs and keep on fishin.

All the boats you listed are great, but I would choose a sea hunt or key west based on which is a better deal at the time. Pioneer and scout are too rich for me… that extra money suits me better in gas.

Key West 2300cc Mercury 225 optimax “Fish Tale”

I got my KW 203 DFS in Dec and love it. It’s great for the family but does have 4 rod holders and 2 live wells so can be fished as well.
I like all 4 brands but I kept going back to the KW.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

I have an 08 pioneer 197 sport fish I bought new in June 2009. I really like the layout of the Pioneer. It is a great all around boat for fishing or family. I like the fit and finish better than the KW or SH. I also could not find the advantage of the Scouts to justify the price difference. It has a good ride, economical on gas, high free board (which I chose so the kids wouldn’t be hanging over the sides) and a good layout for fishing. The only down side would be a little bit better storage but the storage is not bad by any means. I can’t really compare storage to the other brands just by lack of experience. By the way mine is about to go on the market if you are interested. Shoot me a PM for the details.

rdurant,

I am interested.
PM sent

Thanks everyone for all the ■■■■■■■■. I agree Scout boats compared to the others are very pricey. Been looking for a good clean used boat for several months now but haven’t nailed anything down. Still searching for a 19 to 20 center console of the brands mentioned above. If anyone has a good boat they are looking to sell please let me know.

Pioneer is in a totally different class than the others you named. Inshore, it may take a while to show up. Offshore, it only take getting caught in bad weather one time; the weaknesses of a lot of boats would shock some of you.

The boats are built differently with different objectives in mind. The pioneer is built to be a tank, and the company’s owners stand behind their boats incredibly whenever anyone has any issue.

I don’t want to bash any brand, so I will just leave it with telling you Pioneer is structurally and fit and finish wise in a completely different class than all the others you named.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

Thanks for the info Phin. I was leaning toward the Pioneer and was hoping to find a good clean used one.

rdurant,
I would be interested in your boat if you are still going to sell. Please let me know the status. PM sent.

Again, thanks everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

Pioneer is in a totally different class than the others you named. Inshore, it may take a while to show up. Offshore, it only take getting caught in bad weather one time; the weaknesses of a lot of boats would shock some of you.

The boats are built differently with different objectives in mind. The pioneer is built to be a tank, and the company’s owners stand behind their boats incredibly whenever anyone has any issue.

I don’t want to bash any brand, so I will just leave it with telling you Pioneer is structurally and fit and finish wise in a completely different class than all the others you named.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

I can attest to this. I’ve run mine offshore a good bit and only once or twice would I consider the conditions to be nice. Almost every time it is marginal to we really should have stayed in, we go, take a beating and come back, the boat is ready for more. My only wish is that I could run and fish the boat more.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Love my Sea Hunt BX24BR. It’s well built, steady, and a fishing machine. You get the most boat for your money and the resell value holds up on them. Sea Hunts in general handle well inshore and offshore. Best hybrid type boat out there.

Regarding the brands mentioned, I just spent a year comparing everything you have. One that you haven’t is NauticStar. They aren’t made around here, and as a result are less represented by dealers. Based on all that you are considering

2110 NauticStar ShallowBay
150 Yamaha

My Sea Hunt XP21 is a fishing machine.Love the boat.

Stonoman

Passed A small sea hunt coming in from offshore in choppy conditions and I was impressed. I now have sea hunt brochure’s in the bath room, I mean office.

Bearcatasl, good to see you mentioned NauticStar. I have the 2000XS with a Yamaha 150, it’s a nice ride with good fuel economy, if you control the throttle. She has made plenty of runs out 40+ miles with no problem. My only complaint after 3 years is that the screws that hold the trim on need some tighting every now and then. But hell my screws are lose after some of the runs with that boat.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

quote:
Originally posted by oops_lost

Bearcatasl, good to see you mentioned NauticStar. I have the 2000XS with a Yamaha 150, it’s a nice ride with good fuel economy, if you control the throttle. She has made plenty of runs out 40+ miles with no problem. My only complaint after 3 years is that the screws that hold the trim on need some tighting every now and then. But hell my screws are lose after some of the runs with that boat.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Same here on the fuel economy (and need for throttle control). I looked long and hard and finally foud that the NauticStar was the best for me and my money. The only drawback is I wish it had just a few more inches of beam…

It just seems like I don’t see many of them around, and they don’t get much exposure here.

Kew west was the closest competitor, but it was about 10% more and didn’t have the tunnel hull in the back.

2110 NauticStar ShallowBay
150 Yamaha

if i could buy a new boat or find a deal on a used boat i would look at pioneer. wish they were as wide as the pro-line’s in the same size tho.
go take a tour of the factory its close…