Scouting memories

I ran across this online today. It brings back some really good memories.

Scout Oath:
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Scout Motto: Be Prepared

I learned so much from being in the Boy Scouts, and I thank God that I had a great Scoutmaster. Rest in peace, Mr. Fallis. If there is camping in Heaven, I’ll cook you some biscuits in the Dutch oven again.

Steve May
Troop 1007, Bay City, TX

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

My Dad was an Eagle and my youngest is a Scout. He is just about to get his Star rank. He is determined to get his Eagle. I told him his plan should be to get it before 10th grade, before all of the major distractions of high school.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Was in scouts all the way through and got my eagle right before all the high school distractions started thanks to the extra push from my dad… Not gonna say it’s ever landed me a job, but every interview I have went two they seemed impressed with Eagle Scout on my resume… Tell your son to keep up good work it will defiantly pay off one day!!

Sea Hunt 225
Yamaha F200

I became an Eagle in 2005 with Troop 4 on James Island. Spent a couple summers at Ho Non Wah as staff, member of the OA, worked at Philmont as a Ranger in 2010 and at Florida Sea Base from 2011-2015.

I agree with Overdraft. More people in job interviews comment on me being an Eagle scout than having graduated from Citadel. Oscar, my Scoutmaster, is still a good friend and i’m actually going to see him today on my way out of town.

I was a low achiever rank-wise. Only got Second Class plus a Hiking merit badge. But I loved the campouts and the meetings and the fellowship.

I was in scouts from 8-18, almost made Eagle Scout, troop 20, Savannah, GA. Made it to Life and was also OA, and was one project short of Eagle before those teenage distractions got in the way and I turned 18. Later I became a scoutmaster myself, then an assistant scoutmaster for my sons troop. He was in scouts too from 8-17. He’s 27 now.

quote:
I became an Eagle in 2005

Dang, you’re a youngun. I made Life Scout in 1969 :smiley:

My life would have been much different and much worse without the BSA.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

To tell a little about how self-sufficient kids were years ago. I had a conversation with my Dad a few years ago when he could still remember stuff. We got to talking about Scouts and he told me how his troop did not have an adult leader most of the time. They went on camp outs over on Lady’s/Hunting Island (he lived in Beaufort) by themselves all the time. He said every now and then, a Scout leader from Charleston would come to Beaufort to check on and document their progress. My Dad made Eagle in 1946. Some of the kids in my son’s troop can’t put their phones down long enough to do anything so I am proud of his progress.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Cool story DF

“I am not involved in this thread, only helping Fred understand who he is dealing with.”

Now this is a future Scout!

I went to one meeting at school and paid some sort of due as a kid. They never called me back or notified me/mom where the next meeting was. So ended my scouting.

I guess it’s a good thing I’m from an hunting/fishing family. I’m sure I learned most of that stuff anyway.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

I went to one meeting at school and paid some sort of due as a kid. They never called me back or notified me/mom where the next meeting was. So ended my scouting.

I guess it’s a good thing I’m from an hunting/fishing family. I’m sure I learned most of that stuff anyway.

First, Most, Biggest

Yeah, but do you know what a neckerchief slide is?