seacock replacement question

I posted in boats/motors but maybe more people look here.
do you know anyone that will replace this valve or entire seacock? it is stuck open as i just bought the boat and they must of never moved it. also want the small bilge area re-painted do to cracked paint in there and i just want it looking good. i looked at sponsors but don’t see anybody.
thanks,

Have you tried Charleston Marine or Liberty? I’m sure they are both swamped right now, but might as well get in line.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I had the same boat for 15 years, and the same problem more than once. That gate valve handle couldn’t be in a worse spot to get too, I feel your pain.

Before replacing it try this. Get some salt terminator and put some in a spray bottle. Go under the boat and spray it full strength up into the scoop strainer. Do this several times over a few days. It’s easier if you take the scoop strainer off, its 3 brass screws holding it on. When you put them back in dab some 5200 in the holes before reinserting.

Then get some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or the like and spray up in there as well. Take the hose off the seacock and spray the PB downward into the top of the valve. I have had some luck stuffing a small rag under the scoop strainer to hold the oil for a longer time in place, especially when oiled from above. You will need a flexible straw or you could just spray the oil into a small plastic cup and reach under there and pour it down.

Now here is the tricky part, you already know where the handle is and that you have to be on your belly with your head in the access port to get to it. In that position you can’t get a good pull on the handle can you? I know, like I said I’ve been there.

Get yourself a small breaker bar, something like a really short piece of conduit to gain a little “purchase” under there. I used chainsaw sparkplug wrench (T shaped) and put the handle of the seacock where sparkplug would go but you can use whatever you have to gain a bit of leverage.

Once you get something over the seacock handle a bit more substantial just gently rock the handle back and forth. Its not going to give at first, rock it some more and spray some more PB. I don’t think you can pry it hard enough to hurt the boat simply because (as you well know by now) you cant get to it to pull very hard even with a small breaker bar, but use common sense when applying the rocking pressure.

It will work, give it time. You just have to be smarter and a bit more stubborn than so

Thanks EF
your right, it’s in a touch spot. i’ll try what you said though.

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

EF good advice.
You have said before that you know things…
Apparently you do know somethings about something something.
Jajajaja

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Dayum Ef. It don’t get no more specific than that. Any advice for the uh oh crowd that forgot it’s Mother’s Day tomorrow?

Just checked back in, late again I suppose.

True story, I gave my wife a cabelas gift card along with the spring woman’s clothes catalog this morning.

The thing is her mama gave me the gift card for Christmas.

You guys are the only ones that will ever know.

Well that was disappointing. I’m thinking about taking back the nice things I’ve said about you over the years. And she knows. Believe me she knows

Well actually she wanted a watch, but I figured, hey,there’s a clock in the laundry room and another one on the stove, why waste the $$$

Happy Day To All You Mothers

EF

Back when the girls were little I would take them to get stuff for mother’s Day.
But I personally have never bought anything from my wife for mother’s Day.
She’s not my mom she’s my wife…
If they had wife’s day that would be different

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Guess I missed this one, lol:sunglasses:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!