seafood

Brother came to town and looking for good place to eat. Been a long time since we have been out to eat but would rather stay away from the pricey places downtown. Idea’s?

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

I don’t frequent downtown often either and don’t have a lot to compare. But we did eat at Gilligan’s the other day when we were in town with the kids and it was pretty good.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Don’t order the Asian grouper

What would you order, or more to the point, where do you suggest?

Here is a link to a similar discussion in the “cooking your catch” forum on this site:

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=171601

RBF

We ate a place on Folly Rd a couple of months ago but can’t remember name. Just down from Sweetwater Cafe on the same side of the road. Definitely not fancy but the food was good and was reasonable.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You need to ask questions about the seafood’s origin. When it comes in their back door a country of origin certificate is attached. If they tell you they don’t know, get up and leave. If they tell you they have panga or Asian swai grouper leave! There was an effort some time back to pass a truth in seafood law, but the powerful restaurant lobby killed the proposal. So - lying is perfectly legal in the seafood restaurant biz. Beware. Find a place you trust

DF, that was Long John Silvers:smiley:

Take him to Shem Creek! Get a cold 1 or 2, with a Grouper samich and watch the show:wink:[:0]

Firehouse in Hollywood. Get the Whole fried flounder.

“Why Bruce?”

Dave’s Carry-Out rules…

RBF

Noisy Oyster

Double D.

Not sure if they still do it or not, but Bee City off hwy 61(about half way between hwy 15 and 17A not far from Givhans state park) used to serve some awesome fresh shrimp at a very good price. They cooked to order so it took a small wait. Also the pretty cool petting zoo and honey products.

“Why Bruce?”

Nigel’s on 78 or Ashley phosphate road get the seafood fettuccine it is to die for

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Roadside seafood on Folly rd

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

Bowen’s island great seafood and atmosphere!!

KEY WEST 21BR
YAMAHA F150

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

“Why Bruce?”

Didn’t that close months ago?

My favorites - FAS haddock, fresh trigger, BSB , gag -red-yellow edge- snowy grouper, vermillion and yellow tail snapper, NC Flounder, real Atlantic cod ,Argentine flounder, CO yellowfin tuna, and anything I can catch

FAS= Frozen at sea

Watch out for Asian imports. Swai is trash

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

“Why Bruce?”

Didn’t that close months ago?

Firehouse is closed.
And I would second Bowen’s Island, although at this time of the year it gets crowded!!

Ansons helped put that whole fried flounder on the map here in Charleston. You wouldn’t think that fish with jelly works but strangely enough it does. They use apricot jelly as the base and add soy, cilantro, red pepper flakes, fish sauce, lime, garlic, shallots, and probably a ingredient or two I’m forgetting. Saute the garlic and shallots, then add the apricot jelly and stew for a little bit with all ingrediants and throw in the cilantro at the end and remove from heat. It works with calamari too. They would score the fish to the bone, dredge in seasoned flour and deep fry until it floats. Cover in sauce. Fish with jelly seems ridiculous, but they sold a ton of it and people loved it.