SeaStar Hydraulic Steering Problem

My steering works fine at low speed, but have to turn it 2 or 3 times before it catches at high speeds. Backed it off the trailer the other day and turned it left and right with no response. Then it just started working fine. I like to go offshore a lot, but getting concerned about it. Anyone know a good hydraulic steering mechanic? Thanks

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Life Is Good…Gotta Love It!!!

Sounds like air in the system, it needs to be bled if so, can be a very dangerous situation.

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

yeah, bleeding the system is likely the culprit. however, sometimes (due to lack of use) the valve at the helm will get sticky and you have to jerk the wheel a little to get it to turn. keep working the wheel back and forth and use the boat regularly and it should clear up.

First, check the fluid level. If it is low, the steering won’t work.

Of course if it is low, you have a leak somewhere and you should find and fix it, but topping off the fluid will get you back in operation if that’s the problem.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll
North Charleston, SC

Thanks for the input. I’ll check it out. Just have to find where to buy the SeaStar fluid. I read it comes with a hose to attach to the reservoir. Hopefully it comes with instructions too. Not too familiar with this system.

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Make sure you only use Sea Star fluid. Other fluids will damage seals.

Make sure to use only Sea Star fluid, the others will damage seals. West Marine carries it in stock.

A screw in fitting with a hose barb that threads into reservoir then attaches to hose that attaches to bottle. Attach hose then hang bottle upside down above the reservoir from hardtop, t-top or something then proceed to turn wheel back and forth numerous times, at first you might see air bubbles coming up hose, then stopping and then thinking it’s all out, let it sit for 5-10 mins then turn wheel numerous times again, this gives air further down the lines a chance to make it up to the helm reservoir and be bled out.

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

if you have a spongey feel or no response, it is most likely air, but can also be sticking valves
manual bleeding rarely gets all the air out
we have a power bleeder it runs about $45 plus a quart of fluid
chris

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Thanks Chris…I think I need to come to your store. Be there Monday.

Key West 196;150 Yammie