SEC West

quote:
Originally posted by Apickett

I think the distance between the conferences has been negated in the last couple of years. The rules changes that favor offense and hinder defense have helped teams to be able to run the high speed offenses to perfection. Salty your disdain for the SEC i(or sports radio) s clouding your judgement. I am not a conference guy,. I do not get some kind of victory if someone else in the SEC wins the national championship. I do think the SEC west is a tough division, but nor the best ever. Until last week I really thought Oklahoma was the best team out there, but not so sure now. They have both components of passing and running in their offense, which not many teams that use that up tempo offense have both components, most cannot run the ball. To say no one from the SEC will make it seems a little far fetched. You mention Auburn will lose one, I think allmost everyone will have one loss before this year is over.

Really, my wife is an Auburn Grad, I almost went to Auburn over Clemson. It’s not a disdain for the SEC at all, by far the conference has the best football of all. I enjoy SEC games, grew up on SEC games and prefer to watch SEC games when Clemson isn’t on.

My comment stems from the fact it is entirely possible for the SEC West to beat each other up where everyone has two losses. Auburn and Georgia still have to play, that’s a second one for UGA. No two loss team is getting into the Playoffs if there are 0 or 1 loss teams from the 5 Power Conferences. This playoff committee isn’t set up like that. Y’all have to remember that the USA Coaches Poll and AP have zero bearing on the Committee, zero. Just because you think the SEC West is the best doesn’t mean they do.

Oh yeah, I’m not a conference guy either. I hope FSU loses in embarrassing fash

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

according to Phin, Alabama is not a good team.

Try again

FSU’s test is not behind them, Notre Dame will give them all they can handle.

I also do not think it is far fetched to think that a two loss team (from the SEC) may make the playoffs.

Florida may play for their coach’s job and beat FSU in Tally. Then you are looking at Arizona/Oregon getting in over FSU I believe.

If ND beats FSU, then it isn’t that unlikely that FSU slides again in Louisville in FSU’s next game…

We will find out what Louisville still has in two days when it is time to cash the checks their mouths have been writing all week.

FSU is not as good as they were last year. The question, though, is if they will get it together and play a complete game in time to not lose. I haven’t seen them play a complete game where they aren’t making a lot of errors against a decent opponent yet. It does say something that they can do what it takes to win games like Clemson and NC State where they were in trouble but pulled it out.

They know how to win.

Auburn was that team last year and FSU has appeared to be that team so far this year.

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

Notre Dame will not beat FSU in Tallahasse, it’ll be a 2-3 score margin for the Noles.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by krob

FSU’s test is not behind them, Notre Dame will give them all they can handle.

I also do not think it is far fetched to think that a two loss team (from the SEC) may make the playoffs.

That’s because you are an SEC homer, a large portion of the Committee is not. If the SEC has a bunch of two loss teams and you have FSU undefeated, Oregon/AZ with one loss, Baylor/Ok with one loss and MSU with one loss, there will not be a SEC team in the playoffs. Hell a one loss ND would get in even though they lost to FSU over a 2 loss SEC team. The SEC needs AU/Miss/Miss St to remain undefeated.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I firmly believe that the SEC is the best conference in the country and they have been for some time now. Just as the ACC was the best in the late 90s. Being the best conference is cyclical. I also think that a lot of the reason for this is because of the marketing/money that is dedicated to the SEC. I have no problem saying that. However, I believe the geography of the SEC is the main reason the conference is dominant. Football is a religion in the SE and 18 year old kids do not move too far away from home, especially when they grow up seeing the best conference right in their backyard. When you are a stud athlete in high school, you have 3 major goals. Win a national championship at the next level, set yourself up for the NFL and get chicks. The SEC provides the easiest way to get all three - that is a fact. If that makes me a homer, then so be it.

Also, I said that I don’t think it is far fetched that a two loss SEC team (from the West, not East) makes the playoffs - not that it is definitely going to happen. A two loss SEC West team deserves to make the playoffs more than a one loss Oregon (IMO, but I am apparently a homer).

In the world that we live in, I cannot comprehend the winner of the SEC not making the playoffs. If that were to happen, CFB as a whole would crumble financially and the SEC would break away from the NCAA all together.

krob, I hate to tell you this, but what you said ^ isn’t necessarily fact…

SEC provides the easiest way to get ____________.

1. A national championship at the next level.

So attending Vandy, S.Car or Kentucky makes this easy?

1. Set yourself up for the NFL.

Position coaches, strength and conditioning coaching, work ethic, mental attitude are exclusive to the SEC? Talent isn’t everything. See Albert Haynesworth and DaQuan Bowers for local examples…
You may want to listen out on Sundays for Da U*, Ohio State, Florida State, and last but not least, the real USC, before you swallow the SEC = NFL hook too deeply also.

1. get chicks

Anybody around the football team at a college can get chicks. You can tell chicks you are the 2nd string QB at a party and you’ll “get” her. Furthermore, if you are a 5* kid, the quickest way to become big man on campus is to go where you’ll get playing time quickest. So, if you’re arguing that the SEC is all that, and full of such talent, then why would a kid go wear a highway department vest on scout team for a year instead of going somewhere that he can be famous on campus after the first game?

P.S.
I don’t mind playing devil’s advocate, for the sake of discussion.

www.joinrfa.com

quote:

I firmly believe that the SEC is the best conference in the country and they have been for some time now. Just as the ACC was the best in the late 90s. Being the best conference is cyclical. I also think that a lot of the reason for this is because of the marketing/money that is dedicated to the SEC. I have no problem saying that. However, I believe the geography of the SEC is the main reason the conference is dominant. Football is a religion in the SE and 18 year old kids do not move too far away from home, especially when they grow up seeing the best conference right in their backyard. When you are a stud athlete in high school, you have 3 major goals. Win a national championship at the next level, set yourself up for the NFL and get chicks. The SEC provides the easiest way to get all three - that is a fact. If that makes me a homer, then so be it.

Also, I said that I don’t think it is far fetched that a two loss SEC team (from the West, not East) makes the playoffs - not that it is definitely going to happen. A two loss SEC West team deserves to make the playoffs more than a one loss Oregon (IMO, but I am apparently a homer).

In the world that we live in, I cannot comprehend the winner of the SEC not making the playoffs. If that were to happen, CFB as a whole would crumble financially and the SEC would break away from the NCAA all together.

WOW, so, the SEC would take their ball and become a completely separate entity from the NCAA if they didn’t get a team in the Playoff? They’d form their own league? So, by that measure they would only play in conference games throughout the season, have their own bowl system, break away from the ESPN and CBS contracts and the financing offered by both? And CFB in the rest of the country would crumble with no teams in th

Salty,
Clearly what I said isn’t a fact, this is a forum and for the most part everything people say are opinions. The point of us writing on here is to ultimately find out if we are each crazy for having our personal opinions or if the majority of people agree with us. I too enjoy playing devil’s advocate, hence this thread. Yes, I am a Georgia fan and yes I think that the SEC is the best CFB conference. Yes I grew up in the South, in fact, I grew up right outside of Clemson and attended UGA (street cred for anyone who thinks I am a Wal-Mart fan).

1. I see what you did there with the whole Vandy and Kentucky thing - (ouch to the carolina fans, I’m sure that one still burns - and yes, I do realize that carolina beat UGA this year). I still stand behind the statement though. As a whole, I do believe the odds are better for an opportunity to play in a NCG by playing in the SEC. 8 of the last 8 NCGs included an SEC team… I think we all know that the SEC team won 7 of these matchups. Props to FSU for breaking the streak. How many clemson fans on this forum were pulling for their conference to beat Auburn…just saying.

2. Okay, I win this one easy, just look at the numbers. I didn’t say players from other conferences couldn’t/wouldn’t get drafted. I said that going to the SEC provides them with the best opportunity to go to the NFL. There are dozens of articles to read on this topic, but numbers tell the story. Here is one for you:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2078035-are-sec-players-really-more-nfl-ready-than-everybody-else

"Over the past five years, the SEC is the king of the draft. No argument there. The SEC tops the next-highest conference, the ACC, in total players drafted by roughly 40 percent. Additionally, the SEC nearly doubled the number of players drafted from the Big 12. The SEC had the most players selected every year during the timetable. The gap was at its widest in 2013, when the SEC had 63 players selected?19 more than the Big Ten and Big 12 combined. Of all the data, this

You really think the SEC would be decimated and irrelevant? Maybe you do and I really can’t provide any facts to backup my thoughts, nor can you, but it is hard to imagine the best conference in America, with the largest revenue stream, being decimated. But hey, who knows. Clearly they wouldn’t legally be able to “take their ball and run” but I think you get my point. If the winner of the SEC doesn’t make the playoff, no one would really respect the team that wins the NCG anyways…right? If you were that team, would you truly feel that you beat the best to become the best?? I don’t think so, but again…

You know what they say about statistics…

Your using # of “drafted” players as your unit of measurement is a little bit lazy, isn’t it?

Shouldn’t you be using the # of players from each program currently in the NFL?

That would tell the complete story, accounting for busts, undrafted players who make a team, etc.

Let’s look at the whole picture rather than just what’s floating on the top or that crowd of JR’s who comes out every year. You might be surprised…

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/

www.joinrfa.com

quote:

If the winner of the SEC doesn’t make the playoff, no one would really respect the team that wins the NCG anyways…right? If you were that team, would you truly feel that you beat the best to become the best??

I know it is hard for you SEC people to comprehend this, but, it is possible that the winner of the SEC may not be one of the best 4 teams in the country at the end of the year. There may be an SEC team that didn’t even play in the conference championship that’s deserving of being in the playoff but didn’t win the conference.

South Carolina last year…

would have been better competition for FSU than Auburn was.

Agree or disagree?

www.joinrfa.com

If you read the article I included, it doesn’t focus just on drafted players…it includes information for those players starting within 3 years and those selected to the Pro Bowl. Those are relevant aspects, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Phin
quote:

If the winner of the SEC doesn’t make the playoff, no one would really respect the team that wins the NCG anyways…right? If you were that team, would you truly feel that you beat the best to become the best??

I know it is hard for you SEC people to comprehend this, but, it is possible that the winner of the SEC may not be one of the best 4 teams in the country at the end of the year. There may be an SEC team that didn’t even play in the conference championship that’s deserving of being in the playoff but didn’t win the conference.

Agree or disagree?

www.joinrfa.com

Disagree. Michigan State or Oklahoma may have been though.

Mark

I suppose it is theoretically possible for the winner of the SEC not to be one of the best four teams in the country. Sure. Things would have to drastically change between now and the end of the season though. Based on the games I have watched, which is a lot of them, the SEC’s dominance has not taken a back seat this year.

Couldn’t disagree with you more in regards to Auburn/Carolina. Seriously?

quote:

If you read the article I included, it doesn’t focus just on drafted players…it includes information for those players starting within 3 years and those selected to the Pro Bowl. Those are relevant aspects, right?

You said, “set yourself up for the NFL.”

I called into question your premise that the SEC “is the easiest way to get all three.”

If we wanted to really use sound logic, we would need to look at whether attending an SEC school truly enhanced a player’s probability to be “set up for the NFL.”
This is about as impossible as determining whether attending an SEC school enhanced a player’s probability of being arrested for a crime or being suspended from the team.

Would you agree?

Before you jump all over the jail thing having nothing to do with football career, I will contend that where a kid spends 3 to 4 years of his early adult life, and what structure and atmosphere he is in, has just as much to do with whether he becomes a criminal as whether he is “set up for the NFL.”

www.joinrfa.com

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
Originally posted by Phin
quote:

Agree or disagree?

www.joinrfa.com

Disagree. Michigan State or Oklahoma may have been though.

Mark

You mean somebody whose defense and kickoff coverage was stronger than a wet paper bag?

Agreed…

quote:

I suppose it is theoretically possible for the winner of the SEC not to be one of the best four teams in the country. Sure. Things would have to drastically change between now and the end of the season though. Based on the games I have watched, which is a lot of them, the SEC’s dominance has not taken a back seat this year.

Couldn’t disagree with you more in regards to Auburn/Carolina. Seriously?

Yes seriously. Defense wins championships.

Y’all had a defense that could have helped you beat anyone last year.

And I am sorry if you remember last years coots that went to Neyland and not the coots that went to Missouri.

:face_with_head_bandage:

I also like to believe that defense wins championships… however, if we are referring to last year’s NCG, defense definitely didn’t win the game for FSU…34-31 and FSU gave up 449 yards of total offense to Auburn. Didn’t Auburn score late in the game and the FSU offense have to march down the field to score for the win with 17 seconds remaining?

I’m not sure who you are referring to when you say, “Y’all had a defense that could have helped you beat anyone last year.” I’m a GA fan and our defense was not good last year (or this year)… come to think of it, our defense hasn’t been great in recent memory.