Secret to Red Fishin

After 3 years of trying to learn to fish for reds (and only catching ONE), I finally took some advice I learned on this website - if you want to really learn, hire a local fishing guide. Never understood why, but the info on this site now makes sense. I learned more today than I’ve tried learning on my own for years - and most importantly, how to actually catch fish.
Can’t thank Jeremy at ‘Shallow Thoughts’ enough for not only catching a bunch of fish today, but truly showing me HOW to fish. We had an absolute BLAST!!
Can’t believe after all the research I’ve done and uncountable trips on my own, how his coaching makes all the difference. So close, but so far away, until now. Now I am REALLY hooked!!
7 Reds (below: 29" 8 lb, 6 slots, 1 puppy, 2 trout), all in super windy conditions.
Thank you so much Jeremy!!!

[URL=http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb332/davel71/?action=view&current=1Reg.jpg]

[/URL]

[URL=http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb332/davel71/?action=view&current=2Red.jpg]

[/URL]

awesome post, congrats on finding many new pieces to the puzzle!!!

there’s nothing that beats a stocky redfish for inshore drag peeling, hell yeah-type action. i’ll never get tired of the thrill of thinking i have him turned for the last time and then hearing it sing again!

Fishing the Stono River is a challenge every trip.

Stonoman

The funny thing about spottails is that if you cast the right bait in the right location at the right time, they will literally catch themselves. Very seldom is it “Hmmm, am I getting a bite?” Most times it BAMMMMMM and run, rod bent to the water.

I fished these waters since 1981 and caught lots of different fish, but not a lot of spottails, especially in the Stono. For me the key was getting some advice from some great folks on this sight, getting bait in the water, and waiting long enough for the fish to catch themselves.

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120

Fixed the photos for you.

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120
quote:

there’s nothing that beats a stocky redfish for inshore drag peeling, hell yeah-type action. i’ll never get tired of the thrill of thinking i have him turned for the last time and then hearing it sing again!

you said it BW.

stellar resuts in those conditions from one who was out there too.