Sensible legislation

Interesting move by FWC…

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/06/25/fwc-approves-lobster-incentive-program-to-harvest-lionfish/29289909/

Synopsis is that, during the lobster mini season (2 days in July), if you kill 10 lionfish, then you are allowed to keep an extra lobster per person…

Imagine if our SAFMC had the foresight to do something like this! We only hit about half of the Gag Grouper quota last year from my understanding. Imagine if they said that people could take 1 more gag if they killed 10 lionfish. Interesting concept.

That’s brilliant.

funny how the article talks about what the Lion Fish eats and how detrimental it is to the “Commercial” fishing industry. But not much is ever mentioned about how dragging nets pretty much wipes out everything in the nets path.

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender
w/twin 225hp Yamaha 4stroke

quote:
Imagine if they said that people could take 1 more gag if they killed 10 lionfish. Interesting concept.

Yes very interesting. I’d be all over that!
I mentioned something similar to Charles Ruth when we were talking about coyotes and deer. For every 5 coyote tails you turn in to DNR, you get one free doe tag.
The Lion Fish thing could be a good incentive.

218WA Sailfish
200 Verado
The "Penn"sion Plan

quote:
Originally posted by Afishianado

funny how the article talks about what the Lion Fish eats and how detrimental it is to the “Commercial” fishing industry. But not much is ever mentioned about how dragging nets pretty much wipes out everything in the nets path.

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender

Article was about the local Florida fishery. When you say "nets", are you talking about shrimpers?

them too…

Yes! Shrimpers kill everything IMO

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender

Well, to answer your question about why “nets” aren’t mentioned, I’m not sure that the article was a state of the union for all issues that affect fishing. That being said, at least they are trying to do something to combat the lion fish invasion.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Interesting move by FWC…

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/06/25/fwc-approves-lobster-incentive-program-to-harvest-lionfish/29289909/

Synopsis is that, during the lobster mini season (2 days in July), if you kill 10 lionfish, then you are allowed to keep an extra lobster per person…

Imagine if our SAFMC had the foresight to do something like this! We only hit about half of the Gag Grouper quota last year from my understanding. Imagine if they said that people could take 1 more gag if they killed 10 lionfish. Interesting concept.

Neat idea, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many lionfish on any of our legal mini season spots in Marathon. Only place off the top of my head that I’ve seen more than the occasional 1 or 2 lionfish are on some of the illegal lobster hotels - we usually check out 1 or 2 that are near other numbers just to see what they are holding when preseason scouting.

I imagine the guys diving deeper than the snorkel/hookah crowd will be most benefited by this change.

quote:
Originally posted by Post Quartermaster

Neat idea, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many lionfish on any of our legal mini season spots in Marathon. Only place off the top of my head that I’ve seen more than the occasional 1 or 2 lionfish are on some of the illegal lobster hotels - we usually check out 1 or 2 that are near other numbers just to see what they are holding when preseason scouting.

I imagine the guys diving deeper than the snorkel/hookah crowd will be most benefited by this change.

Florida is a big place! Not limited to just the keys!