Sheepshead along the bank

Learned something new today. While working the banks for trout and reds I saw several sheepshead along the bank with their heads down in the oyster beds feeding. Several had their tails out of the water. It was just after low tide. I always thought sheeps were mainly around piers.

They’re everywhere,haha,I’ve caught many on a live shrimp under a cork

aYou learn something new everyday. I always assumed they preferred some kind of vertical structure. Cue Barbawang.

They are all over. I can’t tell you how many I’ve thrown the fly at in the flats. And no, they don’t hit it, at least in my experience.

I’ll bite

My idea of the coolest inshore yin/yang inshore fishing here:

1. Tie clouser minnow/merkin etc and go out in the high marsh to convince a tailer to eat your pattern. Land and release fish, instatweet that shizz

2. Go back to truck and get bow, follow tailers that have sheepshead following them. The bass knock the snails off the grass and they don’t even notice cuz they’re snout down for fids. The convicts come behind and crush escargot until the flats hunter sticks an arrow in one

Harmony incarnate… in my humble opinion

1 Like

My in-laws that live on Whale Branch caught an 11.5lb sheep head over an oyster bed on a piece of shrimp under a cork. No docks or other structure for a mile or more.

Barbawang, I’d have loved to see you stick a sheep with an arrow!!! Only thing I’ve ever killed with an arrow was with an old recurve that I shot at one of dad’s chickens… Scared to death and buried it quickly so dad wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Done it, except with a gig

23 what’s your opinion on soaking a fly in oyster juice? I’m no fly fishing purist type but I know folks who have enticed them that way

Ricky doesn’t need to soak anything, he’s got em all named around his place and just calls them into the net.

I know a few that will soak chicken livers in Grape coolaid for catfish bait. :clown_face:

I’ve met some purists, like real purists, and I can assure you I’m not one of them. A true fly fisherman would tell you that soaking a fly is cheating and you might as well be throwing a cast net over them or shooting them with a bow and arrow. Plenty of guys I know refuse the notion that flies can even be weighted. It just depends on what you’re trying to accomplish.

The angler in me wishes I knew what it felt like to have a 5lb sheepie on the end of my fly line and I’d try anything once. I would do it, brag about it, and then immediate disqualify my “on the fly” catch. That’s just me though.

Purists would say it was like spraying your fly with Powerbait scent sprays or something of the sort. It takes away from the integrity of the sport.

I know right where they are, and right where they tail. I just avoid it because I can’t catch em!

1 Like

Anything and everything is legal for catfish bait!

If i see one, ill still cast to it.

Any minute now…

Lol, remember when I outfished Hoppy one day with a barbie reel?

I miss ol’ Julian