Sheepshead bait

I live in the upstate area of South Carolina on Lake Secession in Abbeville County. I am very new to saltwater fishing and planning to come to Charleston this month to try my luck on Sheepshead. Lake Secession has freshwater mussels and freshwater clams,I’m wondering if they’d make good bait for Sheepshead. Anybody ever tried them or think they’d work for Sheepshead bait?

Charles Campbell

Don’t know about freshwater baits, but I prefer oysters. Bring a knife and a container with a lid. Shuck out a bunch and go at it. Just be sure to harvest your oysters on public grounds.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

What Bow said^^^^^ I use the mossy bait wraps when using oysters , can catch several sheep on one bait most of the time…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

George McDonald I see you are a retired US Navy Seabee. I’m also a retired US Navy Seabee Reservist. How about canned oysters, ever tried those for Sheepshead bait?

Charles Campbell

quote:
Originally posted by Cambo

George McDonald I see you are a retired US Navy Seabee. I’m also a retired US Navy Seabee Reservist. How about canned oysters, ever tried those for Sheepshead bait?

Charles Campbell

CAMBO , WELCOME TO THE SITE AND ITS GREAT TO HEAR FROM ANOTHER BEE ; WHAT UNIT OR MCB WERE YOU ATTACHED TOO??? ME, MCB 71 DAVISVILLE RI AND THEN TO 24 IN 1970 , FINALLY RETIRED FROM SUPPORT UNIT 3 IN 1994 ... NEVER TRIED CANNED OYSTERS BUT I THINK THE SMELL/TEXTURE WOULD NOT BE AS EFFECTIVE AS FRESH ALTHOUGH I WOULDN'T BE SHY ABOUT TRYING THEM TO FIND OUT .... DON'T KNOW HOW FAMILIAR YOU ARE WITH THE CHUCK TOWN AREA BUT ALL AROUND THE NEW RAV. BRIDGE ,, THE OLD COAL TIPPLE ,, AND DOWN AROUND THE OLD PITT STREET BRIDGE STRUCTURE IS GOOD GROUNDS FOR SHEEP.. JUST DON'T TIE UP TO ANY OF THE STRUCTURE AT THE COAL TIPPLE , I UNDERSTAND THE OWNERS ARE REAL PISSY ABOUT THAT !!!!! GOOD LUCK BROTHER BEE ...

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I started off with NMCB24 (1982-1984) then spent the rest of my time with NMCB14 (1984-2006) Thanks for the advice. Was planning on coming down to Charleston this coming weekend; however, the weather forecast looks like rain so perhaps the weekend after that. I’ve never fished for Sheepshead before so any advice is welcome. I’ve watched several Jiggn Jerry videos and got some idea about it. Looking forward to trying it out.

Charles Campbell

CAMBO I MAY HAVE ALREADY SAID THIS BUT GOOGLE MOSSY HEAD BAIT WRAP SYSTEMS , THEY HAVE SOME REAL GOOD AND INFORMATIVE VIDEOS ON SHEEP FISHING AND USEING THE WRAPS ;; WELL WORTH WATCHING !!!:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

author unknown

Best bait for sheepshead -
Fidler crab & Asian crab (an invasive species BTW). Cut the asian crab in half with sissors.

Fishing the beaches, Bays & Ocean of Wildwood/Cape May, NJ
Soon a resident of Georgetown, SC

Fiddler crabs on Owner mosquito hooks on a small inline egg sinker above the swivel on short leader.

============
282 GW Sailfish

Cambo have you been down yet to try the freshwater mussels?

I sent you PM yesterday.

BadBob

Polar 1910 BB 150 Johnson
“Convict Hunter”

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes