Sheetrock Question

I have a room with an old popcorn style ceiling and I want to go to smooth. I see there’s ways to scrape off the popcorn, but is it realistic to think I can get the surface smooth enough and free of imperfections that it would look good with just regular ceiling paint?

Or best to just tear it down and start from scratch with new sheetrock?

Just did this myself, both ways.

The problem with popcorn is that back when it was used, it was used because it was cheap and easy way to “finish” a ceiling. It also hid imperfections, so sheetrocking a ceiling could be done fast and didn’t have to be 100% right like on a wall, because you were gonna cover it up.

SO…depending on who did yours, and how bad the rock is underneath it, will determine how you handle it.

MY suggestion, get a pump up garden sprayer full of water and a sheetrock taping knife and go to work. You won’t know if it needs replacing until you’ve gotten it all off and assessed the situation.

Also, make sure you buy a LARGE knife. The wider the better, as it will cut down on the gouges you can create by not keeping the knife level when you make a pass. The wider and stiffer the better.

If you tape plastic to the walls about a foot below where they meet the ceiling, you can create basically a big trash bag. Scrape it all on the plastic on the floor, then remove from up by ceiling and “bag” up your mess. Works well.

If you do get it down and realize you need some help, let me know. I had a guy come out and skim my entire ceiling in my great room which was horrible after removal. He mudded the entire ceiling and it was so perfect when he was done it almost looked like it was already painted.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

We did it in our house without new sheetrock. No reason to replace sheetrock unless its water damaged in my opinion. Spray bottles, plastic to cover everything, and lots of elbow grease. You’ll have some strong shoulders after its all over. Advice: start with a small room first if you can. Some people think they’ll knock a room out in a day. That usually doesn’t happen unless you are familiar with what you are doing. Knocking off the big stuff is easy; you need to sand until smooth afterwards and that’s where the real work is involved.

FYI, no matter how well you clean up, you’ll have that fine white dust everywhere for a few months.

I’ve got it throughout my house and would like to get rid of it in the kitchen and dining room. When I’m ready to do it, I’ll hire a professional. I ain’t scraping and mudding no ceilings!! Just like I’m not going to sand any more bottom paint and fiberglass. Done with that. Dr. says quit.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I’ve got it throughout my house and would like to get rid of it in the kitchen and dining room. When I’m ready to do it, I’ll hire a professional. I ain’t scraping and mudding no ceilings!! Just like I’m not going to sand any more bottom paint and fiberglass. Done with that. Dr. says quit.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Your lungs and knees are smiling as you type. That old popcorn stool is all over my house as well...and it's staying. I shot all the ceilings with Killz 2 coats and then white paint. If you take it off wear a respirator...Asbestos is usually present.

Watch this video! If you can rent one of these machines you’ll have it made!
http://lightersideofrealestate.com/toolbox/home-improvement/man-removes-ugly-popcorn-ceiling-in-just-seconds-with-zero-mess

I was leaning toward just replacing it, but now will give it a try scrapping the popcorn off and see how that goes first

Thanks for the replies!

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Whew, sure am glad I did all my ceilings smooth when we built.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ve done a couple of rooms and used this little scraper you can get from Home Depot or Lowes.

I used a pump up sprayer to wet and plastic as mention already. You can screw one of those cheap extensions to this so less ladder time.

FYI, that thin strip that runs around scraper is for adding a trash bag to catch what is scraped off. It’s useless, but does not interfere with the scraping.

Good Luck,
NN
www.joinrfa.org/

12 inch knife ,spray bottle and the mud pan. Lot less mess to clean up. Hold the pan under while scrapping Then dump and repeat and a ladder. You will not gouge the Sheetrock as bad this way

Sprayer with water, 12" taping knife, roll of painters plastic, time, patience and old clothes. Wet area, let it soak in and scrape off. Once it is all off get a pole sander and knock off the residue. Once that is done take joint compound, add a little water and mix until stiff but creamy. Skim coat the entire surface, sand, then hit the imperfections. Use a good quality flat ceiling paint and spray if possible. Unless there are bad water spots or busted tape seams, there is no need to replace.

You can also just add a layer of 1/4" over the existing and finish it slick.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Your lungs and knees are smiling as you type. That old popcorn stool is all over my house as well...and it's staying. I shot all the ceilings with Killz 2 coats and then white paint. If you take it off wear a respirator...Asbestos is usually present.

There isn’t any asbestos in it.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

quote:
There isn't any asbestos in it.

I’m sure there is no asbestos in mine, but I’m sure I’m not going to be the man on the scraper either :smiley:.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I got a quote from a guy to put new rock on top of old stuff in my sunroom, as tape seams are coming loose. I figured replacement was only way to go, but it was far cheaper to go on top of old stuff…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Mark

http://homebuying.about.com/od/buyingahome/f/Should-You-Buy-A-Home-With-Popcorn-Ceilings.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/popcorn-ceiling-asbestos.html

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Mark

http://homebuying.about.com/od/buyingahome/f/Should-You-Buy-A-Home-With-Popcorn-Ceilings.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/popcorn-ceiling-asbestos.html

<