Shipping a rifle

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

There are state and local sales tax to be paid here. This is exactly how it broke down for me, ordered from galleryofguns.com and shipped to a local dealer with a FFL…

quote:
Fees: $17.00 Taxes: $112.15 Total: $1,731.42 GOG Deposit: ($444.00) Due at Pickup: $1,287.42

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Sounds like you are purchasing through the dealer that you had it shipped so there is only sales tax and no transfer fee. If you had purchased from an online retailer that was out of state you would have only had to pay a transfer fee.

I believe when you use Gallery of Guns that you are purchasing through the dealer that it is shipped to so you would not need a transfer fee but you would need to pay sales tax.

If you would have purchased from BudsGuns, Grabagun, Gunbroker or any other online store and had it shipped to any FFL licensed person or dealer, all you would have to pay is transfer fees.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

quote:
Originally posted by DueSouth
quote:
Originally posted by archer
quote:

In SC, if the place where you purchased online is out of state then all you pay is a FFL fee. You pay the sales tax like any other out of state online purchase when you file your income taxes. (Like all other honest online shoppers pay at the end of the year.)

So anytime I order something from an out of state online retailer that doesn’t charge me sales tax, I should then pay sales tax at the end of they year?

In the future, where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

Yes, if you’re honest.

First, I’d say it’s more a matter of lack of comprehension/knowledge than honesty and I’d appreciate it if you quit questioning mine since you don’t know me.

Second, I’ve been buying fishing product and other goods for years on the Internet from sites that don’t charge sales taxes and the firm that I get my taxes prepared at has never even asked me about online purchases and related sales tax. Granted, it’s not like I’m spending thousands of dollars per year

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In SC, if the place where you purchased online is out of state then all you pay is a FFL fee. You pay the sales tax like any other out of state online purchase when you file your income taxes. (Like all other honest online shoppers pay at the end of the year.)

So anytime I order something from an out of state online retailer that doesn’t charge me sales tax, I should then pay sales tax at the end of they year?

In the future, where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

Yes, if you’re honest.

First, I’d say it’s more a matter of lack of comprehension/knowledge than honesty and I’d appreciate it if you quit questioning mine since you don’t know me.

Second, I’ve been buying fishing product and other goods for years on the Internet from sites that don’t charge sales taxes and the firm that

quote:
Sounds like you are purchasing through the dealer that you had it shipped so there is only sales tax and no transfer fee. If you had purchased from an online retailer that was out of state you would have only had to pay a transfer fee.

I actually ordered it directly off the Springfield Armory website, which sent me to galleryofguns.com, which had only 3 available. 2 blacks and a green, I went with green.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry, next time you’re in the market, give me a shout, I can help send you a few places to find better deals.

You are paying tax because you used Gallery of Guns. It is run by Davidson’s who is a supplier (expensive one) to dealers. Basically, you just sent the demand for the gun to the supplier who will ship it to the dealer. The ‘sale’ is actually between you and the dealer, not the wholesaler (Davidsons or Gallery of Guns).

As far as shipping a rifle, it’s fairly straight forward. For a handgun, some extra attention is needed.

Payment is questionable. Paypal will cancel your account and freeze funds if they get wind of it, keep it discreet, no notes.

NEVER send money as a gift, add 3% to the total to cover the fees on the seller’s end if that helps the sale.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Thank you. How would that work with you in SC and me in GA though? Would it have to go through 2 FFLs? One in each state?

Jeez, things shouldn’t be so complicated.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Nah, I’d just find you the best price online so you can order and send to your FFL. There are a few websites devoted to sorting guns by price…

As far as complicated…well, it’s the US government, so…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat